Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Groovy
Index -> Java
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:22 pm   Post subject: Groovy

Groovy is a scripting language that can use Java classes and compile to code which can be executed by the Java Virtual Machine.

http://groovy.codehaus.org
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

nice language.. but i think its kinda bloated. heh
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What is a scripting language, and what is it used for?
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well scripting language is basically a language that works on other programs or used inside other languages to extend the functionality of the language. Its usually almost never used this way, unless the program is highly modular. (think plugins)

But i think wtd was not feeling quite well when he mentioned Groovy is a scripting language. heh. its more of an alternate to java lol. or maybe it is soo agile its can be treated as a scripting language Confused hmm whatever. Arrow

(i dont think it is though)
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
Well scripting language is basically a language that works on other programs or used inside other languages to extend the functionality of the language. Its usually almost never used this way, unless the program is highly modular. (think plugins)

But i think wtd was not feeling quite well when he mentioned Groovy is a scripting language. heh. its more of an alternate to java lol. or maybe it is soo agile its can be treated as a scripting language Confused hmm whatever. Arrow

(i dont think it is though)

Well, Groovy certainly could be used for general purpose development. It's not a "scripting language" in capabilities. However, the primary use for it will likely be to manipulate existing Java APIs more easily.

You write the core logic of your program in Java, but bring it all together with Groovy. Much the same is being done with Python, Ruby, Lua, Tcl, etc. The "guts" are written in C or C++, but wrapped so they can be accessed from a much higher level language, which is used to bring the "guts" together in a useful form.

It isn't about one language or another... oftwn the best result is achieved when you know and use many languages, as they usually have at least a few failings which can be compensated for with another language.
   Index -> Java
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: