Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 What's your favorite programming language(s)?
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
JHanson90

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:12 pm   Post subject: What's your favorite programming language(s)?

What're the best programming languages out there? Easy, hard, useful, quick, well-known, not well-known, whatever.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ruby
Objective-Caml
C++
Objective-C
Perl
Python
Eiffel
C
Java
JHanson90

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What's the difference between C and Objective-C?
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Objective-C is the extension to standard C originally developed by Brad Cox in the early 80s to enable object-oriented programming. It was picked up as the primary development language by NeXT. Since Apple purchased NeXT in 97 and adapted NeXTSTEP to become the foundation of Mac OS X, Obj-C is still the primary development language for OS X native apps.

Objective-C was heavily influenced by SmallTalk, so there aren't "member functions", but rather messages that are sent to an object and methods which handle those messages. This enables a very dynamic way of programming.

The other primary advantage of Objective-C is that it's a strict superset of C. Obj-C syntax never conflicts with standard C, nor does it redefine how standard C library functions work. C++, in contrast, does this occassionally, and it sometimes makes using C code within a C++ program difficult.

Apple has developed a means of using Objective-C and C++ together called "Objective-C++" in their branch of GCC. GCC is currently working to incorporate this capability back into the main branch of GCC.

A simple Obj-C class:

code:
// Obj-C includes C++-style comments

// get the root class
#import <objc/Object.h>

#include <stdio.h>

@interface Message : Object
{
   // instance variables
   char * message;
}
- init;
- initWithMessage: (const char *) initMessage;
- (void) say;
@end

@implementation Message
- init
{
   return [self initWithMessage: "Default Message"];
}
- initWithMessage: (const char *) initMessage
{
   [super init];
   message = initMessage;
   return self;
}
- (void) say
{
   printf("%s\n", message);
}
@end

int main()
{
   Message * hello = [[Message alloc] initWithMessage: "Hello world!"];
   [hello say];
}
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well wtd prity much has all the big ones there but there is also:

PHP - for serverside scripts for webpages (kind of bad for debuging and a bit random i think tho)

and

Assembly - for lower lvl stuff like progaming pic chips and other things

There are also some well-know ones that are not so good like almost anything from M$'s visual crap like VB. Also there is the mostly unknow and unusefull turing witch can be good for teaching the basicks some rare times. And of corse there is the out of date QBasicks witch whould go in the not good but well-know pile with other suck M$ stuff.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i say Java is the best only cuz its the language best surviving at an enterprise level. it has some charactersitics that other languages dont have. and it isin't too bloated like a large number of other languages. if you want realtime performance then you might as well use C. A java and c combo works very well too !!

objective-c is also a really sweet language, but is not as strict as Java. this has its own negative side, but i've seen a lot of great apps written in objective-c that are really cool! it is one of those few languages that are flexible but well defined.

now if your interested in hacking and programming in a cryptic manner or developing stuff in just a few lines of code and rapidly that too, then you what you want is not a programming language but a scripting language. Perl is the best of scripting languages. dont want to say much about it. just try it!
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
i say Java is the best only cuz its the language best surviving at an enterprise level. it has some charactersitics that other languages dont have. and it isin't too bloated like a large number of other languages. if you want realtime performance then you might as well use C. A java and c combo works very well too !!

I'd also point out O'Caml. Very high-level, but with the free optimizing compiler (which generates native executables) it often creates programs that run faster than equivalents written in C.

Oh, and if we're going by how well languages do on the enterprise level, COBOL is the clear winner.
JHanson90

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:
There are also some well-know ones that are not so good like almost anything from M$'s visual crap like VB.

What about ASP and ASP.NET? I haven't heard anything about those languages anywhere in these forums. My big brother programs in VB and ASP.NET; I plan to kick his ass with the better languages that I'm learning Wink
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

JHanson90 wrote:
Hacker Dan wrote:
There are also some well-know ones that are not so good like almost anything from M$'s visual crap like VB.

What about ASP and ASP.NET? I haven't heard anything about those languages anywhere in these forums. My big brother programs in VB and ASP.NET; I plan to kick his ass with the better languages that I'm learning Wink

ASP.NET is a definite improvement over classic ASP, but there are still better, cheaper (often free), and easier to use tools available.

It's also worth noting that ASP and ASP.NET are not programming languages themselves, but rather sets of libraries and tools which can be combined with various programming languages (VB, JScript, C#).
templest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Turing!!! Cussing
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:

Oh, and if we're going by how well languages do on the enterprise level, COBOL is the clear winner.

ah! but COBOL was a clear winner.. it isin't any more.. COBOL is only so-so popular in the enterprise level cuz of the large number of legacy apps. the lazy programmers are not interested in porting it to current standards. so yea. But keep in mind even if they dont port such apps newer developement is not in COBOL its actaully in java (or rarely even c++) but using the CORBA framework.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
wtd wrote:

ah! but COBOL was a clear winner.. it isin't any more.. COBOL is only so-so popular in the enterprise level cuz of the large number of legacy apps. the lazy programmers are not interested in porting it to current standards. so yea.

Funny you say that... there's actually a team working on building a COBOL compiler that targets the Parrot virtual machine. Smile

Also, it's still actively taught in a lot of schools.

Not saying that's necessarily a good thing, it just is.
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:26 am   Post subject: (No subject)

hmm yea well i was talking about the enterprises but its possible ppl are using it.. even some coporations Confused

anyways speaking of languages.. have u looked into Mozart-OZ i think u'll love it. i've checked it out. looks like its one of those languages thats pretty darn advanced. Wink
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

pascal, delphi, and of course
LOGO 8)
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

bugzpodder wrote:
pascal, delphi, and of course
LOGO 8)

You might like Icon.
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: