Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Inspiration.
Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:35 am   Post subject: Inspiration.

University starts in 3 weeks today, and I have to learn some java. I need inspiration.

Challenges, source code, links, anything! I'm getting desperate...Sad
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:41 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Make a proamge to DoS atack a tribes server Twisted Evil

That is easy enogth to do in java.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Not yet. I need more ideas...
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Have you programmed in other languages?

If so, take some of the programs you've written there and rewrite them in Java.

I've found this approach quite useful.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hmm write an mp3 file library.. or even simpler a bitmap file library
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes I've programmed in other languages. Turing and C++, both of which I'm fairly proficient with. There's just no inspiration to learn a third language...but alas...I have to...
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:01 am   Post subject: (No subject)

yea u see the thing is this perticular third language isin't easy to program in. thats the only thing keeping you from learning it. unlike C++ or Turing, you can't just write code in java and expect it to be fun. java technically promotes the idea of design before coding, or thinking before coding.

the true inspiration comes from the fact that people use that product you have developed. this single concept of knowing that other are using and enjoying your program is the driving force for a programmer to code. and to get there require a little effort, a little self motivation a little bit of compulsion.

but once your there.. you keep flowing.
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:35 am   Post subject: (No subject)

People use c++ too Wink

Basically, if you can make a list of progressively more difficult things to do, that would be amazing.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Darkness wrote:
People use c++ too Wink

As well as any number of other languages.

More agile "fun" languages are quite useful as well, and frequently promote better thinking.

I would encourage you to learn many languages. Do not spend too much time on graphics libraries either. While they're important, they have little to do with the core logic of any program, which is likely to be the important part of any project. Also, graphics libraries are going to vary widely, while one can experiment with languages and see their commonalities and differences best using simple text IO.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i've done java b4 but i got myself a couple of ref books just in case... but i dont see the point of learning a lot of high-level languages... maybe turn to assembly and machine lang for a change
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

CS 134 is Java though, which is why I want to have some understanding of it...less than three weeks to go.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah, i was speaking in general... as for CS 134..., well i am sure you'll pick it up in no time, but you should get a java ref book from somewhere (or find a couple of good tutorials i guess). the API on the web arent very helpful... (i am not sure how much the course covers or the book covers)

but you probably knew those already...

anyways plenty of free time in university... lots of resources too, dont stress to much over it. i would think if you know how to code basic OOP in Java then you are okay... if not you are probably still going to be fine
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

bugzpodder wrote:
i've done java b4 but i got myself a couple of ref books just in case... but i dont see the point of learning a lot of high-level languages...

Because they'll make you a better programmer. And they're easy to learn.

Among the easiest and most useful:

Ruby and Python.

O'Caml's a bit harder to learn, but incredibly useful.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Also depending on what you are going to be doing as a progamer, you may only ever use high-level langs. Asembey is good and all for some things but you are not likey to make a game or wordprocesr in it.

But you are kind of right b/c once you know a few high-level langs the reset are prity much the same but with difrent api's, liberays and comands.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Some languages will also radically alter your conceptions of what a "high level language" is. Smile

Things like blocks in Ruby, Smalltalk or Groovy, or partial application of functions in Objective-Caml.

If you don't end up using such things, that's ok, but don't let that be a result of ignorance.
   Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: