Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 What is the Blendtrix? (besides combining Blender/Matrix)
Index -> Graphics and Design, Graphics -> 3D Graphics
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:34 am   Post subject: What is the Blendtrix? (besides combining Blender/Matrix)

EDIT: I'm making this a sticky so people can be more informed, 'k? On we go.

Hahahaha! It HAS BEGUN.
*flies away*

*comes back*

*ahem* I'm going to preemptively lay the smack down to any Blender bashing.

Part One: But... but Blender sux0r!
Blender = free.
3DSMax != free.
(keep reading)
3DSMax is mainly used by professionals who have legit copies of it. Blender is mainly used by -- get this -- hobbyists who have legit copies of it (because... well, it's pretty damn free right now) but are likely just using it to learn.

As a result, one would be more likely to find something incredible made with 3DSMax whereas with Blender you could find alot of stuff at the level of "Holy shit, this cube has 3D shading! I'm gonna go show my friends how leet I've become!" But if you look -- if you really look, you'll find some incredible things. Like Scott Wilkinson's incredible model and render of the Millenium Falcon (which landed him an offer of a job at Lucas Arts), which proves it's not the tool, just the people that use it.

Part Two: WTF? It is SO weird!
OMG, wow! Blender is different from other programs? Who the hell said they could do that? EVERYBODY knows that you can only make a program that looks like another program somebody else used!
Seriously, I'ma cut you.
"But it's so weird, it's interface is impossible to use."
Is that why so many people use it? Blender's interface is the greatest thing I've ever seen. It's a bit more difficult at first, but it's worth it. Would you rather have to hunt through menus and tabs all over the place, or be able to use several good hotkeys (s = scale, r = rotate, g = grab, and more, of course) and press space to bring up a menu (at the location of your mouse) for nearly everything, with settings in a row of buttons at the bottom of the screen.

Part Two (b): What the hell? I can't do anything in this POS! WHAT? There's no UNDO! LAAAAMMMEE
I hate people like you. Really. You're so hooked on the undo function that you've forgotten that rule of saving often. Shame. Well, your *****ing worked: Blender now has an undo function. Go rejoice close to the edge of a cliff.
As for your claim that Blender can't do anything: refer to "I'ma cut you" at the beginning of Part Two. I hope I never have to read another post from an ignorant pile of trash who doesn't bother reading through tutorials to figure out how to properly use Blender, and then claims that Blender isn't good. Life isn't easy, and in that respect 3D modelling isn't either. If you're using 3DSMax (I should say anything else, Maya, Lightwave, Wings3D, whatever), don't pretend you could just jump in and use it effectively without first reading tutorials.

(Updated: Jan 13, 2005)
Part Three: This can't make models for games! Why??
No, YOU can't make models for games! Honestly, you can make a 3D model for quake3 or doom3 or whatever the hell it is you want just by typing up a bunch of information. You just have to do it in a way that the game will understand. In Blender, you can make a 3D model and save it as a .blend file easily. If you want it in another format, there's a huge list of exporter scripts that come with it already. If the format you want isn't there, somebody else may already be writing a script for it, or you may be able to save it into some other format and then convert to the proper format from there.

Part Three (b): With 3DSMax I can import *.3DS files into the game I'm making without any convertor
And I can swim with my shoes on! However, the shoes don't help out anything, I don't need them on, and I could probably do better without them. Yes, you could write your game to read a *.blend file to load a model. But you don't need to. The file will contain so much more than just the model. Scene data, cameras, lamps, textures (that don't apply to games) are just a few of the things that a model for a game doesn't need information about. Your better off taking what you need from the file instead of a bunch of stuff you won't use.

EDIT:
The latest reason why I should never have to put up with a "Blender can't make anything good" styled post.

PS: I am looking for a competent 3D artist for a project in order to allow me to focus on programming. I hereby challenge you to learn about Blender and prove yourself worthy.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:22 am   Post subject: (No subject)

so umm, where do you get this 'Blender' you speek of.
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:28 am   Post subject: (No subject)

www.blender.org <-- the dot org era. This is pretty much the main page for everything Blender.
www.blender3d.com <-- I don't even know why they have this site. You download Blender from there, but there's a link on the blender.org site
www.elysiun.com <-- It's a great place to get help on Blender, and see what other people are making.
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:05 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Just installed it but im getting this error
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
sys_init:warning - no sitedirs added from site module.
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:31 am   Post subject: (No subject)

No you're not.

Well, you are, but it's not an error. At least, not an important one. Just ignore it. It means something, I just don't know what, and it isn't important for the most part.
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I close it and it closes the whole application Neutral
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

*Smacks forehead*
I didn't mean to close it, that's the console window. It'll output information for debugging purposes, or for python scripts. Just leave it alone, and you'll be fine.
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hehe, ya, and this is okay. The controles are a bit weird (rotating and zooming in and etc), nothing like any other software Very Happy gatta try and see if i can 'create' something... even a sphere.. ummm
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You can find tutorials all over the place (Blender is more popular than non-Blender users would seem to think). Unfortunately most are made for older versions of Blender which poses no problem besides the change in interface. Around version 2.30 they changed the way the interface works so that it's more customizable. Though you can always download an older version somewhere.
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Graphics -> 3D Graphics
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: