Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 turn on computer automatically?
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:21 pm   Post subject: turn on computer automatically?

Anyway the computer can boot itself up, automatically? like with a preset time?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I know some of the computers i have, have a option for that in the BIOS. I do not know of any bulit in windows progame to do that tho, alougth i have never realy looked.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I just wanted to download from kazaa, but my parents don't allow me to leave the computer on, but if they don't know, it wouldn't matter would it? Wink
Delos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

How about you use some sort of eggtimer? I mean, if you can't go through software, then go through hardware.

I know I've heard of some sort of gadget used in garages that switched something off after a period of time...would it not be feasible for it to do the reverse.

I mean, all on/off to a computer is is a difference of about 5V...though last I heard they were taking that down to 3V.
In other words, there is always a potential difference in your comp...the magnitude determines whether you see flashy text on your screen or not.
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'll have to research on how to do that with an alarm clock...
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

he is a realy easy plan, start downloading for kazaa then turn the montoer off. they will probly think the computer is also off if u do it later at night. U could also probly put it in stand by mode and make a task to start kazaa that whould wake it up.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
the_short1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

o... u can use power timers ... ppl use them for grow lites.... and well for my uses... dehydrator... so i plug this thing intooutlet... then i plgug aplicance into timer... set it...

it will turn off afta amount of time..

so i can dehydrate onions for onion powder.. and leave it to go on for 4 hours afta i go to bed.. without worying about it catching on fire.. or overdrying..
and wiuthout eating up hours of extra $$ for power..

simple..

or.. just leave on while u sleep.. like other person said...

or... while ur at school..

or if ur parents work...

come home for lunch... turn it on... then come back afta shschool.. download done.. and if ur back b4 parnets... ur in the clear..
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

something called wake by lan... u can set it so it auto starts up if it is connected to internet
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Genesis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:05 am   Post subject: (No subject)

You can do it with Linux, I don't know about windows though.
Genesis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh wait, my bad, you need to be able to access another PC on a network to do it. I think it's what dodge was talking about, Wake-On-LAN.

You gotta set up your computers BIOS so that it will work, and use a program from another computer on the network to send a packet to your computer, that will tell it to boot up.

And this works with Windows as well. (According to a friend.) Although it's not really what you're asking for.
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:58 am   Post subject: (No subject)

dodge_tomahawk wrote:
something called wake by lan... u can set it so it auto starts up if it is connected to internet

Supposedly not very secure, but yeah, that's what made me think that this must be possible. Though that's only if your ethernet card and mobo support it (but I think they all do, nowadays?). But then, that would mean some other computer would have to be on your network to try and connect to your computer in the middle of the night. Not a very effective solution.
Wake on Modem?

Or try looking around computer tech sites, and ask that question on the forums. There's gotta be some way to do that in the BIOS setup.

EDIT: OK, next time I'll read the post ahead of mine before saying anything.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: