Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Update Turing GUI
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Are you interested?
(Voting is closed)
Yes
87%
 87%  [ 14 ]
No
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

SeanWestdaleWarriors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:12 pm   Post subject: Update Turing GUI

Turing's GUI is fairly outdated, as it is based on windows 3.11. I'm working on a newer version of the GUI named S-Engine. Here is a comparison of the default GUI, and my new S-Engine GUI. Please note the final version will change all GUI Elements, this comparison is only of the beta version of the S-Engine.

Please vote in the poll. If there is lots of interest I will release the final version to all to use.

The S-Engine can now be downloaded at http://sourceforge.net/projects/s-engine

compare.jpg
 Description:
Early Comparison of GUIs
 Filesize:  116.34 KB
 Viewed:  4418 Time(s)

compare.jpg

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Very nice. I don't use GUI's much, or even Turing at all but I'd like to see that finished. Keep it up.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

looks sweet. Are those elements actually coded in turing, or is it still just a consept?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:42 am   Post subject: (No subject)

very nice
sport

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:23 am   Post subject: (No subject)

It looks like the applications in Windows XP very cool.
Delos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:40 am   Post subject: (No subject)

One question (amidst all the others):
Does your GUI use raw picture files, or are the graphics hardcoded or otherwise stored so that Users will have a bit of a hard time screwing them up and/or deleting them thus rendering your GUI a complete mess?
SeanWestdaleWarriors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The elements are actually coded in turing, but they are not hardcoded due to the lack of colours (255). So all the elements are images .jpg or .bmp that turing resizes, mirrors, rotates, etc.

The user could screw them up, but I'm working on a installer that will place the elements in the turing root directory, so the user will have a harder time screwing them up.
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:44 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Simply fantastic. Maybe I'm imagining things or maybe I'm just wrong again, but I do believe this could be the return of great Turing submissions. Stick around.

Hey, do you plan on making the GUI skinnable? Probably wouldn't be too hard anyways.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
SeanWestdaleWarriors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

The GUI will be skinnable as any one can look the pictures used for the GUI and change them if they want.

When I release it if you want to skin it you will have to keep the sizes of the images the exact same otherwise problems can and will occur as you use the GUI.
SeanWestdaleWarriors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:13 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I have a question for all...

How many of you know or have access to your Turing root directory, default "C:\Program Files\Turing".

If your using Turing at school is the directory accessible? If it is not for the majority of students then let me know, then I will code the GUI differently.
sport

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

In my school you don't have the direct access to drive c:, but you can work around to getting there. It is possible. 8)
SeanWestdaleWarriors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:27 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm posting the first release of the S-Engine on the Turing Submissions forum. Please note that currently the S-Engine has been test only on Turing 4.0.4c, it doesn't work on Turing 4.0.

This is only the first release so there are likely to be bugs.

The file is being released with an .exe installer to get around school network security.
the_short1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

me want to see the ENGINE!!!

wow.... would be great if u could hard code the pics into turing so u cant tamper with it..

but i REALLY like the sliders and the menu.. and button 1!

*button one can EASILY be made in turing..

just use
Draw.ThickLine
and the same colors..

check out some of zylums programs that use color gradients and RGB values.... u can produce some really nice stuff!!

GO ALL THE WAY! and Welcome To Compsci! Hopefully Youll Enjoy Yourself And Become A Full Time Member... cuz thats some good stuff!
SeanWestdaleWarriors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

In the future I may make a hardcoded version for performance and version whcih uses pictures like the current engine, for skinning.
Genesis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ya that's pretty awesome. It makes my GUI programs look so much more modern.

Awesome work. Claping
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: