Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Direct X vs. OpenGl
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Notorious Big P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:40 am   Post subject: Direct X vs. OpenGl

Do Direct X and OpenGl do the same thing. How do these interact with C++?

Phil
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:54 am   Post subject: (No subject)

there was another post on this already
Mazer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

They are both graphics APIs. You use them in your code to display graphics. Check google for opengl or directx tutorials and info.

http://nehe.gamedev.net <-- OpenGL tuts
http://nexe.gamedev.net <-- DirectX tuts
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

it all depends on what type of program ur making.. i suggest opengl if ur a beginner trying to learn graphics.. but if u plan to make some quality game that ur planning to sell... directx all the way.. a good thing about directx is that it supports sound... opengl on the other hand does not, so you have to use FMOD or something to get the sound in
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

But opengl is not M$ witch means it will run on things other then windows. Witch is a good thing if u like your progames to have any protbaity whats so ever.

There are other OSs then windows poleop Razz
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Mazer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

dodge_tomahawk wrote:
it all depends on what type of program ur making.. i suggest opengl if ur a beginner trying to learn graphics.. but if u plan to make some quality game that ur planning to sell... directx all the way.. a good thing about directx is that it supports sound... opengl on the other hand does not, so you have to use FMOD or something to get the sound in

I gotta slap you sometime. I can't understand why people all over the world like to use DirectX. Sure it has sound and graphics and input and networking, but:
1) It's Microsoft. You're basically prostituting yourself. (don't ask me to explain, I really don't mean anything by that Wink )
2) It's not portable. Why the heck don't people care about writing cross platform code anymore? A couple months ago I tried using Linux. I now have a sexy-ass desktop set up and I realised that if I didn't make my upcoming game compatible with Linux, I'd never be able to play it.
3) Man, writing up those other reasons made me forget the other things I was going to say.

Anyways, I don't really care to hear any crap about the good reasons for using DirectX, but I guess I just don't want to use something that limits my game to something Microsoft made.
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hit Wall Hit Wall Hit Wall

damn you microsoft for corrupting my mind and the minds of millions of other innocent children
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

dodge_tomahawk wrote:

hmm as far as sound goes.... what !!!! of course sound is not part of the graphics library!!.. that ridiculous.. if u want 3d sound and stuff try: OpenAL (Open Audio Library) Wink
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Catalyst

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

OpenGL and DirectX also use completely different programming methodologies. While OpenGL is prodecdural, DirectX is more object oriented.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Catalyst wrote:
OpenGL and DirectX also use completely different programming methodologies. While OpenGL is prodecdural, DirectX is more object oriented.

unless u are progaming in java with there java 3D API that uses OpenGL then everything is a class.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Catalyst

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well thats a different api now isnt it? Wink
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

while idk if u whould say it is, sice that API uses the opengl one. Rolling Eyes
Catalyst

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

java 3d is more of a high-level wrapper for opengl providing scene-graph management and other higher-level functions thus making more of a separate api
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ok, ok, u win then. But i was just trying to say there is a way to use opengl in a more OOP fourm if u are using java.
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:17 am   Post subject: (No subject)

heh, only one word for this...

told Razz
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: