Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Laptop Hardware
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

What is the best processor for a laptop
(No ending time set)
AMD Mobile Athlon XP 2800
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Intel Celeron 2.70 GHz 128K 400FSB CPU
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.8GHz 400 FSB w/512 Cache
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
They all suck
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 5

sport

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:49 pm   Post subject: Laptop Hardware

You guys are all computer related. What are your opions for the best laptop for around a grand and a half and were it is possible to get it.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

http://www.apple.com/ca/ibook/
sport

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:45 pm   Post subject: Apple

Any other advice, cause I don't like apple.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Not from me. "Centrino" is better than anything else currently on the other side of the fence for laptops, but it's usually still a decent chip slapped into crappy machines.

Apple is far and away better in terms of hardware reliability and customer satisfaction. I think the latest has them around 73% customer satisfaction, while Dell and HP/Compaq are vying for the next place with numbers like 62%. HP recently pulled away, for what it's worth.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you should ask dan about his dell laptop Laughing

he'd recommend alienware, but that's twice your budget
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Not from me. "Centrino" is better than anything else currently on the other side of the fence for laptops, but it's usually still a decent chip slapped into crappy machines.

ummmmm, centrino is not a CPU it just means it is an inteal cpu with wifi and there own mother borad layout. So centrino laptops can realy diffrener alot in the cpu area.

Dell is achaly extreamly good at fixing your laptop when it breaks, they will come to your house and fix it for you. But the thing is with dell they need to be b/c there laptops break. Perosnly i am loving Alineware, i do not know much about there sport system yet b/c i have yet to need it and there computers realy kick ass. Even in PCs they do admizing things.

tony wrote:

he'd recommend alienware, but that's twice your budget

heh, twice. a bit more then that Rolling Eyes
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:
wtd wrote:

ummmmm, centrino is not a CPU it just means it is an inteal cpu with wifi and there own mother borad layout. So centrino laptops can realy diffrener alot in the cpu area.

You're half right. "Centrino" is the pairing of Intel's craptacular wireless chipset and their Pentium-M processor. There's actually very little difference between the various Pentium-M cpus out there. Note: Pentium-M isn't a generic term for any Intel mobile processor, but rather a very specific model of CPU.
sport

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thanks for advices. And i suppose AMD's are not as good at notebooks as they are at Pcs
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

considering they range from 900Mhz cpus to 1.7Ghz i whould say i am more then 1/2 right. I was just trying to say that Centrino is pointless, if u whont that type of CPU get it but the wifi card they stick in there sucks and i have not seen any diffrence in the power useage from centrio vs non-centrio laptops. If you whont a wifi card i whould reocmend one that gose in a card slot and has a contore so you can put in an exteral aniten rather then inteles intreal wifi card.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:
considering they range from 900Mhz cpus to 1.7Ghz i whould say i am more then 1/2 right.

This is mostly the same CPU, or minor revisions on the same basic design. The 900MHz models may be severely underclocked to improve their heat characteristics and yiel better battery life.

Hacker Dan wrote:
I was just trying to say that Centrino is pointless, if u whont that type of CPU get it but the wifi card they stick in there sucks and i have not seen any diffrence in the power useage from centrio vs non-centrio laptops. If you whont a wifi card i whould reocmend one that gose in a card slot and has a contore so you can put in an exteral aniten rather then inteles intreal wifi card.

Intel's wireless does suck. However, the point of getting a "Centrino" laptop isn't for he wireless but the CPU. It is far and away the best consumer CPU Intel manufactures today, and the best choice for x86 laptops.

Some companies do sell Pentium-M machines with better wireless than the Intel chipset, but due to Intel's markeing strategies, I believe these are more expensive.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:

Intel's wireless does suck. However, the point of getting a "Centrino" laptop isn't for he wireless but the CPU. It is far and away the best consumer CPU Intel manufactures today, and the best choice for x86 laptops.

How do you define "best consumer CPU"? b/c they seem prity sucky to me. If you are going for price AMD ushely dose better in that catogry and the pentium-ms are slow in comparson to some of the new ones out there.

Quote:

Some companies do sell Pentium-M machines with better wireless than the Intel chipset, but due to Intel's markeing strategies, I believe these are more expensive.

I mean get a laptop with pentium and then buy the wifi card spertarly. Intreal wifi cards are never as good as ones that alow for an extreal antine or have theres out side of the comp.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Actually, Toshiba has some laptops with fairly nice integrated antennas, where they did essentially the same as Apple, using the entire case as a wireless antenna. But the Intel wifi chipsets do suck.

In a laptop, sheer power is often far less important than battery life and heat. The Pentium-M sacrifices some of that for longer battery life and lower heat. It's better to do this from the start, rather than starting with an overpowered chip and slowing it down to prevent it from overheating or sucking the battery dry.

The Pentium-M's internal architecture is also superior to that of the Pentium 4, as evidenced by Intel's plans to base much of their future line-up on it. For wat it's worth, it was designed by the team that engineered the Pentium 3.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

While Alineware seems to do a good job of puting a fullpowered chip in a laptop with out underpowering it. Shure they do get hot but it is not so hot that it hurts anything. And the batery life on there comps is also not bad (probly b/c the battery is so dam big).

Any how i whould rather have a 10 pound laptop that burns you rather then a slow one any day. And i do know some companys do the intreal wifi right (aucaly i whould say alineware is one of them) but i still like to have the option of adding my own antine on witch i have not seen in any of the intreal models of wifi cards. How can you war drive w/o a good antine and a fast CPU to break the encription?
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:58 am   Post subject: (No subject)

it all depends on what u need the laptop for.. if you want a desktop replacement get one that has an Athlon 64 CPU, if you want something to carry around get an centrino
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 14 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: