Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Java Program
Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:37 pm   Post subject: Java Program

sorry in advance.

can someone tell me which java program massey uses? i've got ics4m next year, and want to get a head-start.

or even, where to find a good tutorial?

-Z
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
DanShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If you want to find a good tutorial on java, i'd suggest your public library (if you have one). That's how im currently learning java for my ics3m1 next year. Good luck
Kingnoz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

here is a good site to learn java stuff...right on the sun webpage...its actually really nice to use, i learned everything about JSwing syntax and use for my final project at this site
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

There realy are only 3 difrent kinds of java that i know of:

Ready to Progame - made by the poleop that make turing

Prue Java - the real java made by sun who are the poleop who invented and made java to beging with.

J++ (M$ java) - M$'s take on java, i perosnly hate it and i think they got swed by sun for making it so this may not be around for long.

Hopfuly your school uses Prue Java, in that case you can download the compiler from the sun website for free.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:
J++ (M$ java) - M$'s take on java, i perosnly hate it and i think they got swed by sun for making it so this may not be around for long.

Indeed. Microsoft took Java and added a bunch of classes to it. The end result was that Java programs written and compiled on Windows that took advantage of these ran fine on Windows, but broke on other platforms, since Microsoft wouldn't let anyone else implement those classes.

It was a way of simultaneously making people think that other platforms were broken, and making Java look bad.

If I opened a Java application written on a Windows machine on a Mac, and it was written to the standards, it should open and run fine. Microsoft changed this without permission. In this case it would run fine on Windows, butrefuse to run on the Mac, or be screwed up. I, being in this case a non-programmer, would open it up, see it doesn't work and promptly either say "damn Mac!" or "damn Java!".
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

are there any 'updates' avaliable on their site?
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Prue Java is free, go to www.sun.com to get it. Also there are free editors for it like JCreator, see the post by rizzix for info on that.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:35 am   Post subject: (No subject)

do you know which one massey uses? i'd like to get familiar with that specifically

-Z
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
McKenzie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:44 am   Post subject: (No subject)

uses? Odd question. Last year I taught Visual C++.

The IDE you use doesn't matter that much. The core language is the same as long as you don't use any custom made classes (e.g. Console class by Holt) which I will avoid like the plauge. I'm planning on using JCreator because it is easy for students to download and use at home and it has the basic features I want (this still might change by September).
josh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

a really good IDE is called Eclipse www.eclipse.org. It is a very powerrfuyll and easy to use IDE. To use it you must first download and install the Java SDK from Sun Microsystems website www.sun.com.

One really good feature about Eclipse is that it adds in the end brackets for you hen you use an open bracket (n e 1 who knows Java knows that curved and swirl brackets are used extensivly in it.

Hope that helps. Very Happy
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if actionscript is as close to java as i think it is, the curly brackets are used for conditions, correct?

i.e.

code:

-not actual code. this is just a representation-

if q==1 {
     % DOOOOOOOOOOM!
}

right?
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hmm curly bracktes are just code blocks in java
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

TheZsterBunny wrote:
if actionscript is as close to java as i think it is, the curly brackets are used for conditions, correct?

i.e.

code:

-not actual code. this is just a representation-

if q==1 {
     % DOOOOOOOOOOM!
}

right?

This should be:

code:
if (q == 1) {
   // do something
}
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

code learnt.

thanks

-Z
Delta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:05 am   Post subject: (No subject)

www.crimsoneditor.com is another good compiler... NEVER USE HOLTSOFT!!!! (Ready to Java) it will ruin your java experience... as it did mine... anyways as McKenzie said... it doesn't matter as long as you are learning the core language... Have a nice day.
   Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: