Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 University
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:23 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, but do they really care if I had four more months of school under my belt? We'll see what happens...I really don't think very many people applied to waterloo this year.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
kmd-10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You really should have applied to stream 8.

Firstly, if you're in stream 4, you start working in the winter. You begin applying pretty early. This is, right off the bat, almost like a sixth course. Not quite, but it is extra work. Not exactly what you want when you're just settling in.
There are less people enrolled in stream 4. Employers know that. Consequently, more employers (and inevitably, better/more desirable emplyers) open up positions for the summer term. Since a smaller number of employers make themselves available to stream 4-ers, you have less variety.
Also, that four months does make a difference. Employers like to be able to have at least a term's worth of marks to go on. Plus, it's nice to be done a year's worth of work before working. It's no fun having work interrupt your calculus-train-of-thought, for example.
The last thing I can think of, is you're going to be split up from the majority of people you meet in your first term, since most are in stream 8. If you're in stream 4, you come back for the summer, when nobody's around. I just went there for an orientation leader meeting this weekend - it's empty, I tell ya.

Stream 8 is just generally preferred by most people ... and for good reason, I say. If you really don't care ... then I hope you get stream 4, so people who do care get stream 8. Not everyone does care, and that's fine, really.
I bet if they have openings for both streams, they'll put you in stream 8 anyway, since it's a little better.

Is anyone going to St Jerome's? It's the place to be!

Max
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

kmd-10 : i hope that you get into stream 8, so that I dont have to run into your ignorance on campus Laughing

you're comparing a very specific group of people over a very short period of time, amplifing minor differences in skedual Rolling Eyes

Point is - unless you can manage to pull off a seasonal job such as selling icecream during the summer as your co-op term.... then job availability should be relativly the same. If there're less people looking for work in your stream - more power to you. Heck - if you in stream 8, then people from regular (not co-op stream) will be looking for a job during the summer as well Laughing

And trust me - you're not going to staple a copy of your report card to your resume. If I was hiring, I'd throw that right out, reguardless of marks on it. So that's that - 4 more months of calculus are not going to make you that much more marketable.

Bottom line is that during the 2nd year, stream 8 has a work term in winter as well Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
kmd-10

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:16 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I love irony.

Turns out you're the ignorant one. I've already finished my first year. I'm on my co-op term right now.

All that stuff is true. I wouldn't write like a relative authority if I weren't one.

I guess it's fair though, if you thought that I was in your position, then you'd conclude that I'm not a credible source. It's fine, I don't mind.

Try not to be so offensive though (referring to my "ignorance") - it's not a lot of fun to be treated like that.

The fact is, job availability is not the same. I don't know how to prove this to you. There are more job postings (for first years) in the summer term.

The reason there is more jobs is because there are more people - you indirectly said that in your reply, and that's true. But the fact that there are less jobs literally does mean that there is less variety. It's just a fact.

And I don't think I can "trust you" about attaching transcripts - you _are_ going to staple a copy of your report card to your resume. Most employers require your transcript. Most people get one from their highschool to attach. You say, "if I was hiring ... " - well, you're not, and those who _are_ hiring, are asking for transcripts. It turns out four months of calculus does make you more marketable. Do well in it, I'm telling you.

You'll learn all this stuff in the co-op seminars you'll be taking.
Don't act authoritative if you really aren't, and don't talk down to me like I'm a little kid who knows nothing.

When you try to make points, too ... don't just attack the ones you see weaknesses in. You totally skipped over the equaly important facts in the other email.

No big deal - you'll see what I'm saying when ya get here.

I hope you don't think I'm a prick or whatever.

Max
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

touche max Smile

let me restate my position Razz

during the other 4 years, this 4 month difference doesn't make much of a difference. Only during the first year.

and I don't have a choice anyways Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
kmd-10

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, that's true.

The only difference in upper years is, you're split from the stream 8-ers you meet in 1A. And since less people take stream 4, you spend your university career with whoever ends up taking stream 4, and then the stream 8-ers a year below and above you. Not really a big deal - hopefully you get along with other stream 4-ers!

That actually also means ... you're at Waterloo when I am.
I'm probably switching though, so I can be a don in third year.

When are your enrollment appointments? What classes are you planning on taking?
I don't know much about mechatronics - are your first year courses picked for you?

Max
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah, all my courses are picked for me for the first year. I get to review them in 2 weeks, but I don't think I get any choice Confused
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 22 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: