Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Linux
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
SuperGenius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:49 pm   Post subject: Linux

I've always wondered about it as an alternative to windows, but I dont know much about it. I read on the linux.org web site, but I do have some questions.

1. What are some main advantages/disadvantages vs. windows
2. is it possible (and if so how difficult) to install it as a secondary OS on my computer.
3. I thought about installing it on my old laptop, which only I use so I can freely mess with it, any thoughts on that?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

OOO, I'd like to know about question 2's answers, installing win XP and win 98 on the same computer is no problem, but I dunno about linux and windows.
roer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:03 pm   Post subject: Re: Linux

SuperGenius wrote:
I've always wondered about it as an alternative to windows, but I dont know much about it. I read on the linux.org web site, but I do have some questions.

1. What are some main advantages/disadvantages vs. windows
2. is it possible (and if so how difficult) to install it as a secondary OS on my computer.
3. I thought about installing it on my old laptop, which only I use so I can freely mess with it, any thoughts on that?

1) More freedom, friendlier community, nicer feel, more customizable. You have to try it out on your own, its hard to explain. Disadvantages would be if your a hardcore gamer, theres some Linux ports (UT2003, UT2K4) but if you try to run games with WINE your going to suffer major frame rate loss. Linux has its fair share of games though =)

2) You have to partition your hard drive for a Linux sector, the options avaliable in the installation, not hard to do

3) I experiment with Linux on a P120, its better to use it on an older machine for learning IMO, no idea why, just feels more natural
SuperGenius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Also i would like to know about the stability of such a configuration, because if i installed linux on my primary computer and got an error, i would find my neck on the chopping block very quickly.
templest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I run Linux as my main OS. I just have a super small Windows XP partition setup up aside so as to use the system files with "Wine", Windows compatability layer for Linux. So I run basically all my Windows apps in Linux, including games. Wink

Having installed Linux from pure source-code, built specifically for my machine, gentoo linux, I can say I know quite a bit. Wink

One thing though, http://justlinux.com <- the hugest linux forums you'll ever see in your life. You ask a question there and within minutes you'll get an answer, and whataever the question is, it's most likeley already been answered, even the ones you asked above. Just use the 'search' function.

As for you, I'd go with one of the three: Fedora Core2, Mandrake 10, or Slackware 9.1. Those are the three most mainstream distro's that are bound to work 100% with your PC no matter how newbish you are. They provide the easiest and fastest installs too. Wink as opposed to the 3 days of compiling and tweaking with the gentoo installation 'process'.

You will feel the effects though. Mandrake with KDE graphic environment will give you the same performance as windows. Slackware is the fastest of the three distro's but provides less bells and whistles. You get a small, clean, linux install with the GUI of your choice.

Mandrake or Fedora are the best choice for you, as the installation is pretty much exactly the same as Windows. Once you gain some experience though you can go for slackware. Once you have a year or two under your belt, I defenetly suggest gentoo. It'll be FAWKING FAST!!!.

My gentoo boot-up time from begining of load to main console is 4 seconds. Smile

Where'as Mandrake is around 10.

Whatever strikes your fancy, I guess.

As for those forums, you must get an account there. If it wheren't for those forums, I'd have ditched linux a long time ago. Laughing

-templest

EDIT: What do you mean 'frame rate loss'? I run Warcraft III just as fine with any linux OS as I do with Windows XP. Actually, Counter-Strike seems to run better in OpenGL mode with Linux. Confused
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

templest wrote:
My gentoo boot-up time from begining of load to main console is 4 seconds. Smile

no shit? Wow, now Im seriously considering it...
SuperGenius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

so where would I go looking for information and perhaps a download of the versions you mentioned?

ps. I am good with computers, but i know nothing about linux, although I learn quickly..
jonos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I've only used Slackware and Knoppix.

If you have never tried Linux I would suggest trying Knoppix which you download as a cd image, burn to a cd, and then boot straight from the cd and you don't have to install anything. You may have to change the boot sequence in the BIOS though, but that isn't hard. With Knoppix you can decide if you like the file system and the GUI (I think it comes with KDE), etc. It is not as stable as some but at least you will get a feeling as to what it is like.

http://www.knoppix.org/
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
roer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Dont start with gentoo....its just suicide. Start with Fedora Core2 or Mandrake 10, they're great learning platforms. After you've twideled around a bit and understand how Linux works then go on into installing Gentoo. And get ready for a hefty 8 hour installation Wink
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Gentoo is really hard to setup, you're thrown in a bash prompt right away.

Go with Debian linux. Fedora Core is junk, and it's an rpm distro (meaning that it uses these rpm files, which are useless). Also, Fedora is modded to the point of inoperability

Mandrake has the same problem.

Debian has an awesome little command called apt-get. Read this tutorial I wrote on installing debian.
SuperGenius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Darkness which version do you use?
jonos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Really, try Knoppix just to make sure that you like it. You don't have to partition your hard drive, you don't have to install anything, etc. Then if you don't like Linux all you have is a Knoppix CD and nothing Linux on your computer.
templest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

roer wrote:
Dont start with gentoo....its just suicide. Start with Fedora Core2 or Mandrake 10, they're great learning platforms. After you've twideled around a bit and understand how Linux works then go on into installing Gentoo. And get ready for a hefty 8 hour installation Wink

8 Hours? Did you do a Stage 3 installation? Shocked Mine took 3 days!
SuperGenius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ouch... how does it take 3 days to install?
roer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

templest wrote:
roer wrote:

8 Hours? Did you do a Stage 3 installation? Shocked Mine took 3 days!

ive never attempted a gentoo installation yet, my friends have, maybe they were just lieing about it i dont know...ill see when i try it out after exams Wink

SuperGenius wrote:
ouch... how does it take 3 days to install?

you compile your own kernel, takes a looooong while
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 4  [ 47 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: