Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Asteroids Demo
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Catalyst

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:19 pm   Post subject: Asteroids Demo

Heres a demo of my asteroids game

It doesnt have any polish yet (not even score) Confused
Also the game mechanics arent balanced so youll be able to lose very easily and win very easily Very Happy

Who ever downloads this could you please tell me what kind of fps you get (my machine does 18-20)

Demo.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Demo.zip
 Filesize:  282.37 KB
 Downloaded:  960 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

awesome 8) though you were right about balancing...

Another thing you might want to address is the slowing down process... although the is no friction in space, simply turning around and trying to go in opposite direction to slow down seems to be a very hard task. Maybe you can add a reverse thrutle (dont think I spelled it right) to just slow down or go backwards? adds some more mobility.

I'm getting 8-9 FPS but once I kill all the asteroyds it gets up to 25.

I think it will be more fair to award bits when you release the final version Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Catalyst

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

with the difficult turning, i was trying to replicate the original asteroids

im surprised at the fps ur getting, it is really low Sad
i was trying to get it 20 at start and 60 at end (thats how it is on my machine)
in the final there will be gfx options, like wireframe,etc which should speed things up
Tony

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well you should keep in mind that I got Celeron 550 Crying or Very sad
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
nate

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:59 pm   Post subject: 90 fps

Yah its an awsome game but when i started to hold the fire button the fps went way up. also the screen needs to be biga, maybe its just my monitor but it was way to small. Any ways great job thats the best game i have seen on turing

-Nate
element

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

My end fps was 50+
element

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:48 pm   Post subject: Other comments.

If you rotate your ship while firing, it is virtually impossible to lose. Something should be done. Surprised
Catalyst

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

as i said in the first post, very easy to lose and very easy to win (refering to the spinning)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 7:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

great job Very Happy... i only got up to 6 fps but then again my comp is super slow (233MHz Crying or Very sad )... to anyone thats thinkin of d/lin this demo, dont make the mistake of holdin down one directional key (i did that and started free-floating, it was actually pretty fun) Laughing Laughing
Tony

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 7:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well thats what I was refering too... once you start flipping between screens, its vertually impossible to come to a stop. You better hope you'll crash in an asteroyd Wink
Martin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

30 fps

Nice job Very Happy

Just one thing...you've gotta make it so that asteroids don't start on top of you
Martin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

one more thing...running at 125 fps after I killed everything...make an fps counter and put an upper limit on the speed...also, velocity should decrease if the key isn't held
Tony

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well thats bacause your computer is 5 times faster then mine is...

lol, Catalyst... you can calculate computer's aproximate processor speed by using this formula

FPS / 25 * 550

take mine for example...

25/25*550 = 550 Mhz

Martin's is... 125/25*550 = 2.7Ghz (is that anywhere close?)

though I think there's syntax to just get computer's actual info... its a funny thought though Very Happy
Asok

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wouldn't make sense since FPS isn't based on processor speed but on the graphics card.
Catalyst

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i doubt turings speed lies with the graphics card

ur formula is a bit off tony.....

for me its:

76/25*550=1.6ghz

too low...
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 24 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: