Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Question
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
ShadowStorm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:55 pm   Post subject: Question

Guys, (and girls)

I desperatly need to buy a new case for my computer. If you people can recommand any places to buy from and/or what to buy, i would greatly appreciate it.

Thnx,
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jonos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Just go to any computer store and say "I am looking for a computer case."

I have a Touch Systems that I don't mind (it's black and silver and shit)... It's pretty cool.

My friend has a Chin case that is blue and has a lock on it for accessing the power button and drives. It also has a glass side so that you can see the "guts". But it comes with a 150 watt power supply I think so you probably don't need that. You could always just take a game system that you don't use and mod it for your comp. I've always thought of doing that.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hah, might as well just cover the hardware with a carboard box Rolling Eyes

anyways - I'd personally look for something with room. I got to work with IBMs in my school and I hate them soo much because their configuration is so tightly packed Evil or Very Mad I literaly had to take it compleatly appart to get to the harddrive (it was blocked by CDROM which was blocked by the floppy drive which was blocked by the powersupply) Shocked
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
jonos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Or just make a shelf above your desk and lay everything there so it then recieves a lot of air to cool it off.
Blade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:57 am   Post subject: (No subject)

jonos wrote:
Or just make a shelf above your desk and lay everything there so it then recieves a lot of air to cool it off.

haha then you can be a poor bum with style.
templest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:17 am   Post subject: (No subject)

http://www.ncix.com = canadian online "superstore" for all PC crap. Pretty cheap.
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

usually the case doesn't really matter unless you're planning on doing some mods to it ... as tony said, one with space makes working on the computer easier and also allows more air flow on the hardware ... but most tower cases have plenty of space for working inside, so it really shouldn't matter which case you get. just check the power supply, you should aim for a 300W at the very minimum ... 400W+ would probably be ideal for newer cpus (350W is good too, but if you're plannign to keep it around for a while, might as well go for the 400) ... if the psu in there doesn't look so great, I would see about buying a new one and putting it in yourself or see if you can convince the shop to give you a deal

as far as prices go... if you're not doing any modding and don't really care what the case looks like (that's not to say that you can't do any mods or that you should only look at ugly cases) ... I wouldn't pay more than 70 or 80 (plus tax...) for one with a 300W psu, no more than about 100 for a 350W and probably about 130-150 for one with a 400W psu
naoki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

True. And you can prolly buy just a standard mid-tower compared to a mini or full sized, since mid-towers come in a variety of sizes and number of drive bays. They are also more affordable and usually come with better features.

The plain ones you can find for about $30 while the nice ones run about $100 (clear front, working lights, metal lining).

But of course, if you had a dust free room with a good cooling system and static-free mats, you could just put all your parts on a shelf like an above poster stated
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
SuperGenius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

it would be really cool to make a pc in an old NES case, there's extensive info on how to do it. I even saw someone convert their ps/2 keyboard and mouse to plug into the controller ports on the front, and the cd drive comes from the game slot.
poly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

http://CanadaComputers.com is also a good store. You can order online or there are a few store locations in Ontario, tehre pretty cheap prices.
Check out Plug and Play stores too http://yesplay.com
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: