Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Mario-Style Game with customizable levels
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
beard0

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:42 am   Post subject: Mario-Style Game with customizable levels

This is a game I made with the idea in mind that the levels would simply be 16 color bitmap files (that saved me making a level editor - who doesn't have paint?). The program interprets the level based on colour:
white - air
green - ladder
pink - bounce/spring
red - exit
other - ground
It is more explained in the readme...

QuestMaster.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  QuestMaster.zip
 Filesize:  304.33 KB
 Downloaded:  1445 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Delos

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmm...quite nice...quite nice...

I'm no big fan of the whatdotcolour collision detection, but for your design it works...

And editable levels! Good, good...

Suggestion: Add a Time.Delay () to the for loop that has the main Pic.Draws in it. This will make the game more managable for us w/ faster computers.

+ bits
guruguru

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I like i like. Simple, but fun. I like the customizable levels!!! But.. I used my mouse the whole time and that automatically moves the character Very Happy. Is that supposed to happen? And wow nice end scene!
beard0

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:21 am   Post subject: (No subject)

guruguru wrote:
I used my mouse the whole time and that automatically moves the character Very Happy. Is that supposed to happen

Yes, it is - I originally had that in there for when I was debugging, but then I thought I'd leave it in - Easier when you're trying to make sure part of a new level you're testing is possible, and when you're playing, you can either choose to cheat with it, or not!
Delos

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Umm...
"...those that understand..."
Shouldn't that be "...those who understand..."?
guruguru

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 7:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Shall we discuss English now? lol

Resorting to the all-powerful MS Word Very Happy, they say that both work! Yay no argument! Personally, I think of 'who' as people, and 'that' better and it encompasses a greater range.
Delta

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

MS word doesn't pick up grammar mistakes too well. And the way I see it, it should be 'who'. MS word is much better at spell check tho Wink
But ya anyways... I don't wanna get caught up in your grammatical error war. Toodles.
Delta

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

A couple things

I swear the second screen on Pink Rover is impossible to get past
If you want to slow down the speed of the game just hold 'esc' for about 3 seconds. But ya, second screen, impossible.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
guruguru

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Use the mouse Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy!!!
beard0

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Delta wrote:
I swear the second screen on Pink Rover is impossible to get past.

The pink "bouncers" are to make you think you use them - you don't actually. You have to use the ladder on the far right - you cant climb though unless both feet are on and you don't have enough room for that - jump out and up to the left, and then back in to the right to a position slightly higher on the ladder - repeat. (Holding up, right and left has the same effect)
Delta

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I could do that... or... I could (I have) just edit the levels so there is a ladder straight to the door Very Happy
the_short1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

cool stuff... and having .bmp files for map was a good idea!

i was also able to move guy around with mouse... is that sposed to happen??
\

cool little game!
Boss_Duff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

OMG! MY GAME IS CALLED QUEST MASTER! what a coinkeedink. anyway. your game is pretty cool. although you can totally cheat and fly around using the mouse. nice concept. nice game. Smile
DanShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:53 am   Post subject: (No subject)

That is great fun, nice game!
JHDK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

keep it up man, nice.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 27 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: