Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 perfect window *any resolution
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
the_short1

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:44 pm   Post subject: perfect window *any resolution

EDIT: graphics:max;max DOES work.... the first tiem i tried it i musta did it wrong..... therefore... my program is kinda useless....
all it does is show the use of the command to find Resolution.... <<i didn;t know about it till the day i wrote this post... which is about half a year afta i started learning turing... so its good knowledge to pass around i guess...

yes this is simple and very basic... but lots of ppl including me didn't knowa aboout those commonds...

this gets the users window size (command) and makes the PERCECT window no SCROLL BARS!!! ** edit: may have to reduce the values +- 5 pixels...

handy since some ppl make a game thats 800x600 but then the ppl on 1024x800 monitors suffer... or if someone makes a program for 1024 resolution and someone on 800x600 tries to run it... its anoying.... having this as ur first lines of program solves that issue!!!

Getting The Largest Window without scroll bars.t
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Getting The Largest Window without scroll bars.t
 Filesize:  700 Bytes
 Downloaded:  432 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I still have scroll bars. Why wouldn't you just do this:

code:

var win := Window.Open ("graphics:max;max,nobuttonbar")

Confused

And some people make windows a specified size because that's how they designed the program. Gameplay should never change based on desktop resolution. And personally, I really hate it when people set the screen to the biggest size possible because of that.
the_short1

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

not necesarily games.. but definatly animations..!!

also the max ; max thing DONT WORK...
u sitll got scrool bars?? what resolution? i mite have to take off 1 more pixel of height or width... its BANG on for 800x600... and it should work for others... although the diferennce could be because of the size of the title bar.. Thinking
guruguru

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Actually, I believe max max does work. That's what it was designed for Confused . If it doens work for anybody, please tell my your screen resolution!
Tony

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

code:

var win := Window.Open ("graphics:max;max,nobuttonbar")

works perfectly for me.

the_short1's code though still has scrollbars.

I run 1280x1024
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:58 am   Post subject: (No subject)

the_short1 wrote:
not necesarily games.. but definatly animations..!!

Oh hell no! That'd be even worse! You'd then have someone probably taking the bottom left corner of the window to draw, but turing still has the entire window for View.Update to lag you down.

the_short1 wrote:
u sitll got scrool bars?? what resolution? i mite have to take off 1 more pixel of height or width...

No, just forget about the resolution. That's not your problem right now, it's the operating system. You use Windows 98, right? I'm on WinXP right now and you have to take into consideration the different sizes of the interface because of different visual styles. Another problem is that you seem to be assuming that the taskbar is either on the top or on the bottom of the screen. Weird as it may seem, I've seen people slap the thing onto the side of the desktop and that could screw your code over.
Andy

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:47 am   Post subject: (No subject)

did you even try max;max?
the_short1

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i know View.Update is slower on bigger res.... im not stupid.!!!

im shure u guys have seen my topic about cool ways to clear u screen.,..

all those look MUCH better in full screen....!!!
winamp visuals what lookz better ? a window or FULLSCREEN...

thats that point... u dont play UT2004 in windowed mode at 300x300 pixels do u???

SIDE BARS / TASK BAR DONT MATTER!!! turing finds the width and height as the MAXIMUM size a window can be... DOES NOT INCLUDE taskbar...
* i noted this in comments

also.... it could just be one or two pixels off.... then it makes the scroll bars....

i made itt the LARGEST posible on a 800x600 res... i will change my res to higher and retest my program.... ill repost my fixedd code later tonite

thanks for ur comments.... u see the problem is... my video card upstairs sucks the monkeys ASS *its max res is 1024x w/e ... meanwhile... my downstairs video card has max res of like 1500x w/e and can do the 24BIT color at that res.... upstairs... 1024 at 255 colors... 800x600 at 16bit... 640x480 at 24 bit.....

downstairs comp was in use while i was coding this so i wan't really able to change res ans stuff...... but ill kick whoever's on off for a while to fix...!!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
guruguru

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hehe I have my taskbar on the side Razz . Its easier to do stuff the way I find. No dragging the mouse down to the bottom, just off to the side. Plues you get more vertical reading room (sacrificing horizonal space).
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the_short1 wrote:
i know View.Update is slower on bigger res.... im not stupid.!!!

the_short1 wrote:
thats that point... u dont play UT2004 in windowed mode at 300x300 pixels do u???

You don't make UT2004 in turing. Also, if you're playing a game in fullscreen mode, you don't have to keep the desktop resolution. Shocked
the_short1

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

WTH??? do u think im a retard mazer??? cuz like shit... who would acually belive that...!!!

common..

UT2004 in turing.... Rolling Eyes if someone wanted to make that in turing it is for one thing is near next to imposible.... and why would they. it would suck no good 3d and sounds and no real multiplayer... not to mention... COUGH ... turing SUCKS for that.. and my comment din't say making it in turing AT ALL!!! it just said u wouldn't play THAT GAME in windowed mode of 300x300 pixels..!!! i was making examples....

and no shit....
lots of games resize ur res to play games for example... starcraft resizes my res from 800x600 to 640x480, and because of that my icons shift into that area sometimes....... and if u press alt tab during game the monitor clicks as it changes res... that wasn't the point.... either ur dense..,. or purposely trying to make me seem like a retard.... and for taht Shoting

the point was that u like to play a game (not nesecarily in TURING) in FULLSCREEN as big as posible... NOT in a tiny fricking window... hence having this in turing will make it as large as posible in any res making the playability BETTER for anything that u should happen to make in turing..!!!

mazer... some times.... u just piss me right off..
guruguru

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Wow... umm... take a chill pill dude. He wasn't trying to piss you off. He was just make a counter-argument... to which you blew up.
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the_short1 wrote:
WTH??? do u think im a retard mazer??? cuz like shit... who would acually belive that...!!!

the_short1 wrote:

and no shit....
lots of games resize ur res to play games for example... starcraft resizes my res from 800x600 to 640x480, and because of that my icons shift into that area sometimes.......

Does it change the desktop resolution? I somehow doubt that.

the_short1 wrote:
the point was that u like to play a game (not nesecarily in TURING) in FULLSCREEN as big as posible... NOT in a tiny fricking window...

On occassion, I do like to play games in fullscreen. But when I do, I'll rarely set the resolution to 1280x1024, just to save my graphics card from exploding into millions of tiny shards. 800x600 is fine.

the_short1 wrote:
hence having this in turing will make it as large as posible in any res making the playability BETTER for anything that u should happen to make in turing..!!!

But in turing, you need to do whatever you can to gain speed. And that means not having a gigantic run window. Besides, what if you design the game on a school computer where the desktop resolution is 800x600? You design the game, all the graphics and the background for thatsize. Are you going to redo all the graphics and everything to make sure it looks good at different resolutions?
Dan

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I whould not consider seting the window size to it's max fullscreen but rather a maxiumized window. Fullscreen mode has diffrent proporitys then a maxizmed window. It is to bad they toke out the fullscreen mode in turing 4.x .
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
the_short1

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yea 800x600 works just fine.... most of my games run at that mode.... starcraft is the only one taht does n 640x480.. and it dont change desktop res..... but by presing ALT + TAB it makes all my icosn shift as if i had that size res.....

of course aim of turing is to make it faster..... and i fully understood that b4 u posted...

but when speed is not an issue... like i said... with animations * like my clear screebn visuals.... it lookz better as a bigger screen!!!

THATS THE POINT!!! do i have to make an example program to show.... ??

im make a visual using a 300x300 res... then ill make it fit to ur screen... it will look MUCH better big.... because it kinda surounds ur view sight more..

if i get time i will do tahtand fixthe window program....yesterday i was too busy... i had to do lots of yardworks.. and tonight im gona play AOE 2 expansion online...

yes i wish turing still had fullscreen abiliotyes... that would be SWEET!!

also.. the variable list thingy..
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 19 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: