Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [tutorial] Installing Linux
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:38 pm   Post subject: [tutorial] Installing Linux

http://kanotix.com/info/index.php

That's the website so you can read all about it. There is a link on the main page where to download it. Once you download it, you can simply insert the cd, restart the computer and it will be installed into your RAM (meaning that it's gone once you turn the computer off), and you will have a full version of Debian Linux to try out. If you like it, open up a bash prompt (equivilent of a command prompt in windows, except it's unix (and therefor far superior) and type su to become a superuser. The root password will be defaulted to nothing, so just press enter. Now to install it to your hard drive. I'll tell you straight up: This is a long and gruelling process, involving approximately 10 minutes of your life and a single restart. The whole install takes place while the ram version of Kanotix is running by the way, so while it's installing you can just minimize it and do something else on the computer. Also, on the fly decompression means that 2GB can be stored on that cd, so you don't have to change cds. Yeah, Linux pwns. Okay, so now that you are a superuser, you have to type knoppix-installer. Follow the instructions, and 10 minutes and a restart later, you have a full working version of Debian Linux installed. Note that in theory, this is the only time you would ever have to restart your computer. You can update all of the programs that you want, and you don't even have to worry about it.

Now for stage two: Update the system. Anyone who thinks about windows update will shudder. 30 minutes to install a 700kb patch. Then a restart. Rinse, repeat. Not anymore. Open up a terminal, become a superuser (you set a password in the install), and type:
apt-get update
wait for that to finish (again, you can do whatever you want during this time) then type
apt-get install upgrade
done. Linux is updated. Pretty nifty, eh?

Step three: getting programs. Now, this completely free OS you have installed has a number of programs built into it, including:

The GIMP - A graphics app comparable to photoshop, which a number of professional developers are actually choosing over photoshop due to it's high functionality

Mod edit: Blender - A small but incredibly powerful 3D modelling, animating, and rendering suite now open source. You cannot deny it's power.

OpenOffice.Org - Essentially Office XP, minus powerpoint.

Mozilla-Firefox - Web browser far superior to IE in every way possible. Built in popup blocker, tabbed browsing...the works.

XMMS - X Multi Media System - Windows Media player, without any of the bloatage. Fast, clean, customizable. A trend in linux programs.

K3B - A high power cd burning program. One thing to note...when making a cd from an image (.img, .iso) make sure you select 'Burn Image File' otherwise you will simply copy the image onto the disk. I wasted 3 cds before I figured this one out.

Wine - Means Windows Emulator. Guess what this baby does?

And many more.

Click the K-Menu -> System -> Synaptic Package Manager.

You are now in Linux's high powered version of Add/Remove Programs. With it you can, install, uninstall, and update practically every linux program that is worth using, plus a few that are not. It'll ask you for the root password. This one's pretty self explanatory: Green box means it's installed, white box means it's not installed, check mark means it's marked to install. Once you select what you want to install, click apply and you are all set. Again, note that since the beginning of this you have only restarted your computer ONCE.

Now, with Linux, google is going to be your new best friend. I'll post some more tutorials as I get the inspiration to.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 5:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

May be i should post a tutorial on installing linux on your Game Cube. I just got it wroking on my Game Cube today. Had a web server ruing off it too, was prity funny.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
jonos

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 6:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Or you can go the Knoppix way and just use from a CD if you don't want to install anything/don't have any disk space for it.

http://www.knoppix.org/ (site is in German)

Just burn the image file to a CD (like Darkness said above) and then restart your computer with the CD in the drive (making sure you're boot sequence in the BIOS includes the CD-ROM drive) and enjoy the open source sex machine known as linux without installing.

To access the gui KDE (I think the only one that comes with it), just type "startx" in the command prompt.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Kanotix does that too, it is based on Knoppix technology.
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:11 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm going to install Gentoo on my machine pretty soon (out of pure boredom), so I'll let everyone know how that goes.

Apparently Gentoo is linux at its peak.

It'll be my 5th or so distro...I don't think I've talked to that many girls in my life.

Darkness, the Linux whore.
SuperGenius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What is the point of installing linux on your gamecube.... and how do you do it? lol.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

For the hell of it. Because you can. Need more reasons?
SuperGenius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes... I dont understand what one might do with a linux enabled gamecube that would be any different from a regular one.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:32 pm   Post subject: Re: [tutorial] Installing Linux

Darkness wrote:
The GIMP - A graphics app comparable to photoshop, which a number of professional developers are actually choosing over photoshop due to it's high functionality

Customizability is also high on the list of reasons to choose it, as is the multi-window model, when compared to Windows versions of Photoshop.

Darkness wrote:
OpenOffice.Org - Essentially Office XP, minus powerpoint.

A presentation program comparable to, and compatible with PowerPoint is included as "OpenOffice.org Impress".
SuperGenius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:07 am   Post subject: Re: [tutorial] Installing Linux

Darkness wrote:
Once you download it, you can simply insert the cd, restart the computer and it will be installed into your RAM (meaning that it's gone once you turn the computer off), and you will have a full version of Debian Linux to try out. If you like it...

What would I do if I did this and I didn't like it? Would it be possible to revert back to windows from before I put the debian cd in?
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:10 pm   Post subject: Re: [tutorial] Installing Linux

SuperGenius wrote:
Darkness wrote:
Once you download it, you can simply insert the cd, restart the computer and it will be installed into your RAM (meaning that it's gone once you turn the computer off), and you will have a full version of Debian Linux to try out. If you like it...

What would I do if I did this and I didn't like it? Would it be possible to revert back to windows from before I put the debian cd in?

As long as you don't install the OS to your hard drive, then it's as simple as ejecting the CD and rebooting.
SuperGenius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

How much hard disk space would be taken up by an install..? I want to be able to keep some of my documents mabye but I may end up formatting (hd is only 1.3g or so)
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

SuperGenius wrote:
How much hard disk space would be taken up by an install..? I want to be able to keep some of my documents mabye but I may end up formatting (hd is only 1.3g or so)

Depends on how much stuff you install. That's where the customizability of Linux comes in. Smile

My most recent Fedora install was 2.5GB.
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 13 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: