Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 online chat program
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
the_short1

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 6:28 pm   Post subject: online chat program

hey... i was wondering in what language would be best to create a chat program like http://www.spinchat.com and also how hard would it be??? cuz i want a custom one for my site... also i want to host the chat and the chat SERVER on my shaw server... that way i can make sure its working.. and it wont be crappy and filled with crappy people.... and it would be fast...

or course i cant make the chat program.... but i will be asking someone else to make it... for a good sum of bits + lots of extras and i want to know in which language i should ask it made in..

and if its done really well.. maybe we can have it for compsci too and then compsci wont have to worry about slowing it down with a chat progie cuz it will be on my ultra fast unlimited bandwidth server...

*** we were thinking on having a chat program for main page of compsci... but i think they dont want to add it for bandwidth reasons..

Thanks !!!!!

-Kevin Da Short 1
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Amailer

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 7:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

java... hmm so simple Very Happy
Dan

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Best way whould be to make a java irc client rather then a hole new chat system. It whould be the fasts, could go on a webpage and whould be easy to do stuff with since it whould be using irc and u just need to set up an irc server some where or find one that all ready existes.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Amailer

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:10 am   Post subject: (No subject)

that's what i ment... and where can i get 1?
the_short1

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

java... ok... like that chat program at spin chat and etc... u can host the applet thingy on ur site... but it connects to a chat server on their site... so.... how would i make a chat server (or get ) to go on my shaw server..???

cuz i really want a customized totally new one that uses MY server not some other one...

so.... now i just got to get someone to make me a cool looking JAVA irc client... that uses a IRC server that is on my shaw server...

now.... do u know anyone who would be willing to make something like this??? ive seen tons on google.... and some were customizable... but they overall sucked because of crappy servers.. or complicated...

cuz all i want is to ask for a nic name... and thats it... ur connected and can msg ppl... no email addy... no sign up.,... no slow loading peices of crap... no security warnings....
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I really doubt you'd be able to host your own chat server on the shaw servers. If I'm not mistaken, they don't run programs or anything for you, but rather they just serve as free web space right?
the_short1

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well..... i can try cant i..... it alows me to upload ANY extension that is any size and yes.. 10 free MB...

is there any little something made in java that i can host on my server to test???
Dan

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ah, you will not be able to run an IRC server off of that host. Also the java thing whould be a client not a server so u whould have to coent to an existing irc server.

if you have to have the server and clinet on the shaw host, the only thing i can think of u doing whould be to make it in php and uses a mysql db (if they have it). but that whould eat up alot of banwith and whould beslow to update.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
the_short1

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:21 am   Post subject: (No subject)

note: i have unlimited bandwidth...and its supper fast....

it works with javascript1 .... but i know thats diff from java.. Sad

errr... so its very unlike\ly for me to be able to host the server and the client... Sad :'( cuz php dont work last time i checked... but ill try again..

shity deal......
Dan

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:35 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well an irc server is not an scriped you can put on a site like javasipte, php or a java applet. it is more like a webserver where the progame has to be runing on the server.

javascripted != java

tho you could most like get both runing on your site (java in applet fourm that is).

What i whould recomend whould be finding an existing irc server that will let u set up your own chanle on that and then find a java applet that is an irc clinet and put that on your site affter it is configered to go to the slected irc server and chanle.

If u are instredted in the compsci.ca v3 updates we are plaing on doing this, and seting up our own irc server on one of my many boxs. We could post how we did it when we do it to help u out, and if the irc server works well we could even give u a few chanles to uses for your site. But this update is not happing for a bit, at leat till i am done with school for this year.
the_short1

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 2:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ome of my boxes ????

one channel would be wicked.... although i could learn it.... im doing java next year... MUCHOS FUN Smile

i was hoping to make one for my server and let compsci join into it.... that way compsci WONT get slow.. see i had good intentions.... but... o well..

that way i would also get more ppl on my chat channel.. Smile as well compsci would have more cuz of my visitors...

thanks Hacker Dan And Others who helped me understand dis...... im willing to wait a while for all that.... it will tkae a while to get all my visitors and site+forum into full compacity and working order.....

now if only i had this much activity to my Flash challenge to make an intro page for my website... Sad
Dan

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

boxs = computers/servers

i have serveral servers set up that could be used for varuoses things. One all ready has the progames on it for an irc server, just needs to be set up.
Young~Money

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 6:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

1) Most Datacenters do NOT allow IRC on their network, so you will need to find a good host. They cost quite a bit for a fair number of people on them, or you will need to get your own box in a DC that allows IRC.
2) Generally Java IRC clients suck. www.pjirc.com is one of the best I have seen, but overall they suck. mIRC is the most popular application for IRC chatting. Make me wonder why there isn't a mIRC scripting forum cough.
3) Your own IRC server would only be worth it if you can get quite a few people to use it. A channel on an existing server would not be a bad idea, because you have all the chat functionality right there, plus you can attract new people from other channels.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 13 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: