Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Templest's Theory of Society vs. Intelligence.
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
templest

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:15 pm   Post subject: Templest's Theory of Society vs. Intelligence.

In short: Prolonged exposure to television will deter a mind from developing it's full potential and/or becoming someone that thrives with a wanting to succeed in life.

From an early age, the bland mixture of american society has been poured into the minds of the young. With commercials for "ROCK'EM SOCK'EM ROBOTS!" and "Soccer Mom Barbie & Ken". That's right, commercial/consumer-ism.

There are few children that have managed to escape it's grasps, but those who don't, the majority, are doomed to a life of Nike shoes and Nokia cellular phones. (Trend style, obviously the cell-phone has it's proper uses).

Do you think the teenagers of our society give a fùck that a 12 year old child working for $1.50/h made their shoe? Do you think they know that the $80 "G-Unit" shirt they are wearing was most likely cut from the same material as a $5.99 Zellers shirt? Do they really give a fuck about anything else than money, fame, expensive cloathes, loud music and parties? Nope. They really don't. Why? T.V. has raised them to be like this. WHY? Money. They want the money.

T.V. shows may seem innocent to most, and to the most part, they are. But what really warps a young mind is what's in between the innosense... commercials.

My niece, 5, said she didn't like bluebarry juice, because "blue is for boys". What the fùck?

First off, who started this anyways, what difference does it make if it's pink, blue, orange, red, or teal? It's a colour... get over it.

It's been drilled into young minds at a young age, that the only way to be cool is to play sports, be buff, look sexy, drive fast cars, smoke pot, have sex everyday with "bunch of hot chicks", and to live a "RADICAL" life style. Or for the women, that the only way to be happy is to buy Revlon's "Super Clear Wrinkle Cream, to reduce the appearance of blemishes and... blah", to die your hair with the "revolutionary new way of dying your hair with a multitonal brush", to wear "Colour Wonderful" lipstick, to use "Winsor Polates" so that you look like your sexy anarexic self, and to wear whoerish outfits so that the males like her?

I have news... Most men *shock* are just happy they want to be with them. Let alone care what type of socks they're wearing.

Honestly, when I marry someone, It'll be for more than her "Old Navy Cargo Jeans".

And all this consumerism being thrown at us, makes us change the priorities in our life, to better suit our own, economical, needs. We begin to neglect our families, our significant others, our health, and our minds, just so we can have that few extra to get ourself a nice porche.

Why don't so many people like to read? Because "reading is for nerds", and God forbid you ever became a nerd. That would be so uncool. You would have no friends and get beat up because hanging out with nerds would make them uncool, and it's cool to beat on the nerds.

Since when did it become "uncool" to prepare yourself mentaly, to set mental|spiritual|academic goals for yourself? And to have a future? If those kids that beat on the nerds only realized that if they kept up that way, 20 years from then, They'd be attending them when they went to Swiss Challet, they might have a chance. But no, why? If they decided to become nerds, read, and become informed of the world around them, well, they'd know about little Muhhamed that made that shoe, and about G-Unit ripping them off with T-Shirt Prices. They wouldn't buy into it. And, whoops, companies lose money.

Do you see where I'm getting at? T.V. purposely deteriorates one's positive, by positive I mean the real positive (ie: not I want to get a fast car, but instead I want to write a book [for more than just the money] type of look), outlook on life. So that they can fill it with their own style of positive outlook. (ie: fast car), and to change a persons desires, to such things like having a cell phone, getting a sh!tjob so that you can afford it. The sh!tjob, mind you, is so that companies get cheap labour.

Consumerism is an a**-hole, and the only way to stop it from sh!tting on us, and the intelect of our society, is to turn the T.V. off. Turn it off, start reading, start learning about the world, start observing the world around you from a non-consumeristic perspective, go to parks, study. Take back your life, and live it for the right purposes: Not to buy expensive crap, but to learn, and to experience life. These things, in the end, bring happiness and joy. Not a $50 bottle of "Obsession by: Calvin Klein".

Life is meant to be lived, not purchased. That's just me.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:25 pm   Post subject: Re: Templest's Theory of Society vs. Intelligence.

templest wrote:
My niece, 5, said she didn't like bluebarry juice, because "blue is for boys". What the ****?

lol, thats hilarious, my sister is 5 and she can read and do adding, subtracting on paper, including 3 digit multiplication Laughing
and she says stuff like that sometimes.
templest

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Mathematics has nothing to do with maturity and a good grasp of social issues. I could be 10 and be able to build a nuclear reactor from stuff I can find at a local dumpster. That still doesn't mean I'd know any better than calling someone "QUEER!" for wearing a pink shirt. Rolling Eyes
Paul

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ah, but it takes maturity to sit down and do math, when you'd rather go watch tv Wink
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you can't blame TV. your blaming tv because there are advertisements on tv. there are advertisements everywhere. if you look at a picture of a street where all the ads have been digitally removed, it looks unreal because we simply have never seen something like that
templest

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
you can't blame TV. your blaming tv because there are advertisements on tv. there are advertisements everywhere. if you look at a picture of a street where all the ads have been digitally removed, it looks unreal because we simply have never seen something like that

Television is an example. What I'm trying to make you focus on, is consumerism in total. In all it's unglorious aspects. The T.V. plays a large role, yes. But even I know that it would be rediculous to think that if you turn the TV off the problem will all go away.

Consumerism is the issue, if I made you think that T.V. was the issue, blah. If that were the case, I'd have named the topic "T.V. vs Intelligence".

And blah, the title would have been more properly named "Consumerism vs. Intelecutal Development". But whatever.

Ohh and, about the maturity thing. What if I REALLY like math? But hate homosexuals because that's what my environment has led me to believe? Just because I see myself as mature, doesn't mean I really am.
Paul

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well I guess what maturity is, its just another one of those things that is defined by the environment around you.
templest

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That's right. But you don't buy maturity, can you? I think maturity is a standard. If you are well behaved, chooses to be polite, thinks of consdequences before actions, can take responsability for his actions, ect. That makes you mature. And that would be a more correct way looking of it. But if I say maturity means beating your sister with a stick because she ate your pudding, then obviously that's incorrect.

It's like saying the word "weather" is a self-interpreted word, that can mean different things depending on what your perspective on it is. It's not, it's a word, meaning a single thing. So is maturity. And if you interpret the word incorrectly, then you are incorrect.

EDIT: I mean maturity in terms of attitute, I'm not saying you're a ripe tomatoe. But even then, you know what I mean. Maturity comes with age, and knowledge. You may very well have one, but not the other.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Maverick

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Lay off G-Unit. They're good

Quote:
play sports, be buff, look sexy, drive fast cars, smoke pot, have sex everyday with "bunch of hot chicks", and to live a "RADICAL" life style.

Hmm maybe because some people like to have "fun" All those things are fun. Hmm heres a decision Party or Read. Well i'll be damned if i culd choose Rolling Eyes
jonos

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Read. And seek new knowledge. Impress your friends with little known facts about the inner workings of the heart of a diseased and cancerous hippopautomus (and also how to spell it).
templest

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
Read. And seek new knowledge. Impress your friends with little known facts about the inner workings of the heart of a diseased and cancerous hippopautomus (and also how to spell it).

Well, if all you think knowledge is good for is to impress your friends, then I guess you really have no good use for knowledge, and therefor, should just stick to the pot.

As for the G-Unit crap, I personally don't care about their life as it has no influence in mine whatsoever. But I feel a sudden pitty for people buying his sh!t, just so that he can afford more prostitutes.

People, stop trying to "burn" me. Rolling Eyes This is my personal opinion, and if you don't agree with it, why read it in the first place?

I'm not saying all the formentioned things are EVIL and BAD, and SHOULDN'T be done. All I'm saying is that if you decide to do those things, it shouldn't be because you've been brainwashed into doing so just to make some crack-pot rich. But instead, to do it because it's REALLY your choice. Fuck, I know I smoke the ocational joint every now and then. But I don't do it to be cool or even go telling everyone I know just to "up my status", as it will.

I have no personal grudge with any musicians, artists, authors, or any company in particular. I just don't think it's appropriate to exploit|ruin|control people's lives just so you can get their money.

EDIT: Do you think I want to live in a boring, serious world, where everyone studies all the time and does nothing else but dissect frogs and calculate mathematical equations? Fuck no! I'd hate that, life should be fun, yes, I think we should all socialize, have parties, and "live it up". But I don't think we should all live FOR making money in order to do that. It should just be that way, growing up in a loving surrounding, where one is NOT told how to live, what to buy, and where to go.

Soon we'll be like futurama, broadcasting commercials into our dreams.

RE-EDIT: Learn what you want, because it interests you. And maybe because you want to help others.

I read books, program, play online games, socialize, go to parties, "chill" with friends and talk, I also study, because I like to. I like to know about my surrounding. I want to know why everything that goes up must come down. I want to be able to measure how far a rocket can fly with x amount of fuel, certain friction and gravity. I enjoy studying. You may not, you may just want to make paintings, write stories, cook, be a teacher... It's UP TO YOU. Not to some guy that wants to get rich by making you want to only buy his brand of sweatpants.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

templest wrote:
I enjoy studying. You may not, you may just want to ... be a teacher...

ROFL hehe Laughing

good points though templest. Commercializm is pushing things too far in wrong direction and for wrong reasons (and in this case two negatives don't make a positive... its like -abs() function Laughing )
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
templest

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 6:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

My thought process escalates with great, and random, momentum. I may be thinking of one thing, and then type another, while still typing the previous thing.

Add the line "or you can" infront of "be a teacher" Wink
templest

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I just herd a pretty good tune on the radio on my way to school. It's pretty damned good, and relates to this subject so I thought of posting the lyrics.
Song's by: "Kyprios", and the song is called "This is My Hit".

Oh no oh no, well I don't know,
Oh yes, oh yes it's so easy,
Buck naked on a train our thoughtlessness,
I often hit the crossroads,
Me and all my stream of consciousness, all those,
Get the businessmen out they offices,
Artifices in the air, artistry is in despair,
Sicker than an AIDS patient having chemotherapy,
Than a cardiac arrest, cognac is the best drink,
To make you think your sick when you only got the sniffles,
If and when you hear a record do you give a little?,
The industry doesn't want you educated; they'd rather have a hit and a fashion statement,
Fashions, they seem to be the only way to reach the youth today,
So shut up as I speak (shut up kid),

This is my hook,
This is my chorus
This is my hit
It's better than yours

This is my hook
This is my chorus
This is my hit
It's better than yours

Music, abusic, mu-mu-music, it's abu-bu-busic,
It's abusive; it's a hook,
A catchy beat and a look,
A genre, the desire for a minute while you're took,
There's Britney, Christina, Mandy, N*SYNC,
Backstreet, Ninety Degrees, it make's you think,
Maybe I'm the next Eminem,
And I'm a wanna put a song about my Mama on the radio with Kyprios,
And sell the fuck out, duck out and get paid,
Go mainstream, do what's been done? do it again?,
No,
I ain't going out like that, see,
I gotta be original, and an individual,
Critical time to use the inner most eye,
They got the money and the power and the criminal minds,

This is my hook
This is my chorus
This is my hit
It's better than yours
(Shut up kid)

This is my hook
This is my chorus
This is my hit
It's better than yours

Freestyle, full of just got, just got, organized confusion
Rock star movements, Swollen Members, Living Legends, Sweatshop Union,
Daylight soul, common sense, try for what's, crash cruise, cheval,
Some party chaos and the rest of those don't doers that don't take pay offs,
What happened to Kaierus once philosophy?
When did hip hop become "hip hocracy"?
Consuming flocking sheep that's society,
We need to change our medeor immediately,
Then greet that shallow word, swallow what you heard,
Who's leading the leaders? who's following followers?,
The world is a pitch for corporate advertising,
My thoughts ain't a pitch for the commercializing,
Sky is falling the earth is erupting,
Don't believe everything you hear, kid, trust me,
Analyze,
Gotta question? ask it,
Or be a market pitch for a specific demographic,
Fourteen? and a girl?, you're the number one target in the world,
Question even me, gonna believe a catchy hook?,
Have I got substance? I dunno, take a look.

This is my hook
This is my chorus
This is my hit
It's better than yours
(Shut up kid)

This is my hook
This is my chorus
This is my hit
It's better than yours

good music. Smile

EDIT: I'm hosting the song in on my rogers space for a bit (until I need it for something else). http://members.rogers.com/trails/kyprios-This_is_my_hit.mp3

RE-EDIT: I fixed the lyrics, apperantly the person who wrote them is... slow.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 6:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[quote="templest"]
Quote:
People, stop trying to "burn" me. Rolling Eyes This is my personal opinion, and if you don't agree with it, why read it in the first place?

because no-one can disagree with it until they read it. Wink
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: