Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Compsci Chat
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

compsci chat?
(No ending time set)
yes
61%
 61%  [ 8 ]
indifferent
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
no
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 13

Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:30 pm   Post subject: Compsci Chat

before i get to my idea, first comes some genuine praise:

Hacker Dan wrote:
deleting all the users with no post whould just use up time i could use to help some one with progaming or study for a test so i can get in to uni or make somting to help the site.

when I read that i thought, "damn, what a great guy, helping people to learn programming in his free time as well as running compsci."

So, on to my idea: I propose a chatbox like aspect to compsci.ca. There are times when someone has a question that can be answered in a single post (often a question as to how to fix an error, or how to do some specific task). However, other times people want to learn how to do something, and it is hard to teach over forums, because it takes too long for their question to reach you and then for you to reply and back and forth, back and forth. A chat room for compsci would solve this problem. Users log into the chat looking for some help or looking to help others.

Some specific thoughts I've had
This would easily turn into spam. So, like with the forums, we have a channel or two for spam.
However, for those that want to help or those who need help, they log into a different channel, where they ask their question of anyone who is there. Tutor and tutee go to a seperate channel and the teaching / learning commences.

Yes, this can be done through MSN. The compsci chat would be better I think though, because it would connect ppl who need to learn with ppl who actually want to teach at that time. over MSN, you might not feel like teaching or you might be really busy or whatever. Also, if Dan made this himself, it could have special features kinda like [code] tags to keep things organized.

I'm not sure whether this is a good idea. I can see a lot of problems with it. It does, however, have potential if compsci users are active and online enough to help others when they need it. It would also require moderation, which i don't think could be done by a bot (to keep the spammers out of help channels, that is).
I like the fact that through a chat there is more of a direct connection than over a forum. I think it makes teaching easier.

Lemme know what you think Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

having a chat would be the death of the GD section... Sad
but its a good idea.
shorthair

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

would stop useless posts , and its a good way to stop spam in the boards
GreenTiger

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I voted yes, and here is why;

At the beginning of the year, in homeroom, we got this sheet all about tutoring online at this school site with real school teachers to help you.

NONE of the compsci chat rooms I went into had teachers that knew a thing about turing at all...(they knew good languages like C++ and Java...ones I'd prefer to use. Still...not what I needed when I was beginning my year)

Anyways, so I think a chat room would be good here because we have TONS more ppls that can give specific help.

Just as long as we make it a normal chat, not like the retarded raise-your-hand-and-teacher-has-to-accept-your-question method they had on this tutorial site.

See the problem with old fogies making a website is that they have no clue what makes a website work.
Paul

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Lol, we couldn't use the chat in school, infact don't make it so that its on every page, or else this site wouldn't be accessible.
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I like the idea, but I seriously doubt it would cut down on spam.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

paul -> "don't make it so that its on every page"
wha?
It would be a seperate IE or firefox or netscape window. the link would be on the main page (/mx). it would be kinda like valors chat on his site.
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

havng a chat will do nothing, as it did before when compsci had a chat.... it sucked and no use to bring it back.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

we had a chat before? this is news Confused
anywho, i don't know when this was, but im assuming there are less users then than now, so it might have a shot now? i dunno. i think its worth a try.
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

it was when.. compsci was more compscie?, less spam, before v2
Dan

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well i did make a compsci.ca irc server awhile ago, but i did not think many poelop whould uses it so i stoped working on it. if u guys whont some kind of chat i could try geting that up agaen. i do not like the idea of php/mysql based chat tho, b/c that uses up alot of banwith.

so whould any one uses an irc based compsci.ca chat?
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Paul

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I dunno how irc works.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

problem with irc is that ppl who want help would first have to DL it, if they don't already have it. also, from the actual irc site, you can only get an evaluation prgram that expires after 30 days. Thinking
shorthair

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 5:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

it never actually expires and ( literally ) there are about 700- 1000 free versions of irc

its Mirc the one your thinking of , i use

Xbox-Tirc and i love it , you just have ot find a client you like ,
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 5:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oh thats interesting. i thought ppl said irc as a short form of mIRC. and ya, thats the one im talking about. Confused
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 19 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: