Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Overclocking
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
gamer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:04 pm   Post subject: Overclocking

any overclockers out there?? i hav a Aopen Ax45-v motherboard n 1.8 P4 cpu, the mobo says it can support up to 2.4, but after few alterations / testings i can only go up to 2.02....does anyone kno why??
i heard it might has somethin to do with core voltage, n "pin wrapping" help solve this, is this true?? if so, how??
or is there any other way i can overclock my crapy mobo??
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well if u whont to see if u can easly overclock it, look in the biso and on the mother borad. if u can, there should be an option in the bios to chage the clock speed of the cpu. also on the mother borad there are some times a set of swtichs with a small digagrae saying how to flip thess switchs to set for what clock speed.

alougth you should be wared that seting it at a higher rate then antended can casue many problems, like a unstable system and over heating. And if you realy mess up you could damge your system by bruing stuff out. if you have a tempcher cencer on your mother board i whould wtach it closely to make shure nothing burns out.

if this is a laptop system there is no way you should do this (laptops get hot enoguth, dont need to burn throw your lap any more).

there are many good sites out there about this and comituys witch post what they have done with what kinds of systems.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
roer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Try looseing your RAM timings and set the divider to something like 5:4 instead of 1:1.
the_short1

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 4:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

http://forums.devhardware.com/f19/s <<<overclocking from the experts.. they are good at what they say.... very knowledable..

that site has one NICE forum... sucks for progrmaming... WICKED for hardware..even has software and programming in it.. (not ltos ... but its there..)(

so... i make a thread about my pac man game... and i put a link to compsci Smile ***go there to check it out..

oh... that reminds me... i forgot to put a link to my main site Confused Sad have to edit post..

o... and look at the number of posts in certain threads.. and the amount of view and whatnots... its CRAzY
gamer

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 8:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

btw is it possible to overclock ram?
the_short1

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

umm.... are u purposely trying to set ur hardware on fire???
can u spell DUMBASS... Wink Shocked .... i wouldn;t do that... it would prob burn it out... our the heat inside ur PC would burn other things out...
if u do any more overclocking... i would suggest out a couple more fans and lead the air to the outside of ur case... i just did that cuz my HD gets kinda hot... so i took a CPU cooling fan (small) and mounted inside of one of my CD Drive bay plate tihngys... and made a large hole for the air...
works good... cuz im too cheap to go buy a HD cooler fan (huge that sits on top for ten $$$) but then again... i made this myself so i like it that way Razz
Amailer

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if it over heats wouldn't it automatically shutdown?
GreenTiger

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 7:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Depends on your BIOS. My Y2K-compatible BIOS (hehe, that was really useful) allows you to set it to auto shut down when it reaches a certain temperature...but that's only the temperature of the CPU and motherboard, so if you overclock your ram, better watch out; that's goonaa be one

GOODNESS GRACIOUS GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
the_short1

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 7:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

not to mention u are the only one on compsci prob with taht bios Razz Wink
gamer

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ok u kno how people add another fan to their system after some overclocking, how would they put it in the case? like i mean, after u connect it to the motherboard, where do u exactly place the fan then? for example if u wanna cool down the cpu, since the cpu alredi hav a fan, then where would u put ur new fan??
the_short1

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

instaed of taking power from MB i took it from a HD... *** i already had the taped one **with the extra red and black.. thta way i could have all the power i could to my CPU **cuz i though it was failing.. Sad maybe still is... just been working perf lately

so yea i just did that... except it was to cool down my HD area.... and also since i have a missing plate to cover where a hardware card could go... i have cold air comming in there... and i put my fan into a CD bay cover plate.. ***make a hole for air ... and then just glued in it place.. make sure its not too snug otherwise ur fan mite not turn.. *happened to me

cold air is low... then it will heat up... and it will rise and go out my CD area... Wink smart eh!!!
cooling my whole system..
\

in ur case.... it would be nice to just clamp on top... but u cant do that... Sad

maybe just upgrade to a wider and much more effective fan??
or... maybe put 2 side by side on the CPu if u have the room... and / or get a better heatsink.... and wider..

that is all i can think of Sad
gamer

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol thats a little confusing.....btw when i overclock i raise the FSB level, so wut part of the computer should i add a fan to? mobo?cpu?ram?HD?or wut?
Martin

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:39 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Hah, last time I tried to overclock something, my video card broke.
the_short1

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hahah... sht1ty....

put a fan everywhere.... Wink its ok i guess to do one but overclocking everything....ouch.......

u can get nice thin HD cooling fans.... the length and width of a HD but thin, for about 10$...

i dont think u can do nothiong about RAM.. so i wouln't touch it ... why overclock... its FAST... so why bother... ohh... it mite save 1second of time loading some game... but does that mater??

yes... the CPU overcloking,, = smart...
but ram... i dont know.

get a good hintsink wider then cpu if posible... and get a cpu fan that is wider then cpu if posible... does that make more sense then last post?
roer

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes you can overclock RAM, and it's important in order to overclock your CPU. I don't feel like explaining everything so I'll give you a quick briefing. Overclocking RAM basically involves changing RAM timings.

You can get loose RAM timings which would be 3-4-4-8 which would allow for maximum overclock, but you lose a lot of performance as well.
Or you can have really tight timings 2-2-2-5, which basically kills your chance of achieving a maximum overclock.

To achieve your maximum overclock you need a decent motherboard which has overclock options. Set the RAM Divider to 5:4, set your timings as loose as possible and move your FSB up 3 at a time, when it dosen't boot reset your CMOS and go lower.

Right now I'm using 2-3-2-5 with 1gb of ocz pc3500el, my p4 2.4's running at 3.2 and my only limitation is my motherboard which dosent really support ch-5.

Overclocking really is fun if you know what your doing, but if your not patient try something else Razz

If you want to check for stabibility on an overclocked system run this program for 24 hours:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 31 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: