Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 jokes
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:50 pm   Post subject: jokes

http://modernhumorist.com/mh/0107/turing/
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Maverick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

that supposed to be funny?
Raugrist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Are you familiar with computers Maverick? It might help.

Thanks for the link bugz, you've brightened my day. Well, night. OK, if it were day, that link would've brightened it.
Maverick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

im familiar with computers but i see no humor in that
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I almost fell out of my chair when I read it. maybe they are not that funny to you, but do you *understand* the jokes at least?
Maverick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oh i understand them. lol i guess the last part is pretty funny. HELLO, HELLO
Dauntless

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
MH: Are you a computer?
Dell: Nope.
MH: You’d be surprised how many fall for that one.

Word.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Raugrist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:42 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes, that part right there was the greatest.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:40 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Delos wrote:

BTW, don't start trying to make a programme to check for halting...it won't work...It's been proven...

do you have any documentation of such? I'd like to read the prove cuz for a program
code:

loop
put "hello world"
end loop

you can determine it will never end simply because it lacks loop's exit
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Delos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I hope you guys understand the depth of humour in this article! And for those of you who don't (and just to show off a bit:D), here's a little tidbit of info you may want to know.

The last joke is especially funny as it is an example of an infinite loop. This programme does not end. Alan Turing himself (of whose fame the article was based) was the first to discover/prove that it is impossible to make a programme that can tell whether or not another programme will ever stop executing...i.e., will a given programme halt. This became known as the Halt Problem (hmm...Halt...Holt...). So, here we have a computer that cannot halt...ah, the hilarity...

BTW, don't start trying to make a programme to check for halting...it won't work...It's been proven...
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

it is based on the principle that:
Let S represent the shortest lexicographical sentence that cannot be defined in twenty words or less. I just defined it using under twenty words.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Delos wrote:

if you where to check to see if your progame has goen back to the same line that it has all ready been to yet there have been no chages in meory (RAM) since then whould that not prove that it is a inf loop?

Think about it, if nothing has chaged in memory (no i/o at all to memory or other wises) and the progmae has come back to the same line more then once with out this chage then it whould be an inf loop.

this whould not chetch all inf loops but alot of them. there for it could not be proven that u can not check for all inf loops.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

how about a for loop? how about a recursive call??
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The electricity part I found funny Laughing
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 18 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: