Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 soup up internet
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
gamer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:29 pm   Post subject: soup up internet

im wonder.....is there anyway i can soup up (boost) my internet connection? i use rogers btw, the download seems quite fine (the more the better), but my upload speeds is baaaad. so does anyone kno how i can improve the speeds? softwares/programs??
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

alougth there are tones of poroges out there that say they will do this, very few do much if anything at all but put spyware on your comp.

for downloading it can be posable to cononcet more then one time to the same sorce to download one file witch could make it go faster. there are some download mangers to do this but wtach out b/c some have spyware.

for uploading, i dont think there is much u can do other then make shure all your setings are right. DSLReports.com has many tools to make shure that they are and some speed test to help u find out what the real speed is.

realy the only way to make big chages to your speed is to chage or upgrade isps. that or posably hack your modome if it has caps, but some poleop in the U.S. who did that got a vist by the FBI.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Catalyst

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

some isp's let u rebalance the upload/download channels so u could have 50% down, 50% up (or anything in between) not sure if rogers does (prob not)
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

sometimes the Ethernet cables are not twisted right, I got some one who knows what they're doing to twist mine right, something about colors, and the upload speed went up 10 times.
Maverick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Try download accelerator plus. My friends d/l speed went frum like 150 kb/s to 650 kb/s sometimes. Only in IE not Kazaaz or mozilla.
gamer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i personally use wireless network G, so it may affect the speed somehow
for dling manager, im apparently using flashget (i reli recommend this), its quite easy to use n can break files into 10 pieces (dl at sametime) n my average dlin speed is 350kb/s, which is reli good for wireless

i also dl a program called TuneUp Utilities 2004, it basically clean out damaging n uneeded stuffs of your computer, it works pretty good too

btw, i hav teh linksys WRT54G, but somehow i also get low signal (im about 40feet away, desktop), does anyone of you kno tips of "boosting" the signal strength?
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:27 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Put linux on your computer. I've only got a 10 megabit connection...and I get download speeds in the range of 600-800kb/s usually. Uploading around 50-100 too.
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:29 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:
alougth there are tones of poroges out there

Ahh dan, you are hilarious. There's an m in programs :p
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

u have a 10mb conection and only get "600-800kb/s usually. Uploading around 50-100 too." Shocked Shocked

that is messed up prity bad there. do u mean your netwrokcard is 10mb b/c if the isp says u have a 10mb conection and u only get 600kb/s there is somting very wrong.

i got a 3mb conection and get 2mb to 2.5mb down and 100-250 up.

i wish it whold go as fast as the maxium nextork card speed, that whould be sweat. i whould have a 1gb conection then Razz
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
the_short1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

... dont forget... their is a difference between MB and Mb.... BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!! use my unit converter to see the diff... *** also that is important for bandwidth tests since they show it in Kb not KB...

Kilobits and Kilobytes...... comfusing yet?

anways... get my unit converter here: http://geocities.com/the_short22/turing.html

** dont mean to plug...

.... i got this autofix thingy from http://www.pcpitstop.com and it helped a bit.... http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/autofix.asp?file=IntSpeed.hta

note.... upload speeds are almost always much slower then dl speeds cuz u cant bounce off diferent servers **mirrors...

my dl speed is 250 KB a sec and upload is 60 KB....
ive got up to 400KB b4... but that was a HUGE file with like 20 mirrors Razz

other then that.... i use Download Acellerator plus **FULL VERSION*** so i get the extreme excell option Razz it boosts from 100 KB a sec to 200+KB
its sposed to work with opera/mozilla/netscape... but the box is grayed out Sad

try ur options for the network card in network properties... **in control panel... u could probally tweak the port settings.....

somewehre in there u can set the speed thingy.,..
i have mine on auto.... but for me i can set to 10MB full or half duplex and 100MB full or half duplex...... meh... i cant use the 100 ... but i dont really notice a difference... maybe u willl...
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oh, well sory if i messed up the units there (alougth i dont think i did), read martins post to fast. any way i ment my speeds in 1000 kbps and aucaly the upload is 400-500kbps., forgot the isp upgraed that too awhile ago.
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well if u wanna check how fast ur upload download between computers are, u use iperf. just run client on one and server on other.
gamer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i also heard of people talkin about uncappers for router n cable modem, do u kno how those works n where i can get them? i use rogers with a motorola cable modem
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if u uncap your modeum your could be carged with feaderal officencs eh? in the U.S. serveral poleop where arested by the FBI for doing that. It is easy for your ISP to tell if u have done it too, so i whould not remoned it and whould ask that if any knows the awaer to that question they e-mail insted of posting the awser b/c posting the awser whould vaiote the digal meumale act thing in the U.S. and since some of our servers are in the U.S. it whould not be a good thing...

also i uses dslreports.com for speed tests or sympactios one. dslreports.com is a gr8 site for leagaly tewaking your net setings.
gamer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

o.....ic
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 4  [ 60 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: