Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 D&D Style Game
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Palindine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:15 pm   Post subject: D&D Style Game

Last Year for the First Annual Algonquin College SAT Programming Olympics me and a bunch of friends from school had to make a D&D style game that ran to the specifics that they had given.

Any comments on it would be welcome.

EDIT: sorry i had to remove the file so i could upload this years program (Darn 2Mb Quota)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the game is kinda confusing... but it's a good start. It would probably be better with animated turing drawn graphics (or sprites) instead still pictures found else where Confused

IU also needs improvement...

and there're some minor bugs... well the one I caught was
Quote:

you hit for w/e points
monster is dead
monster misses

didn't know that monster can still attack you after being dead Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Krabjuice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Uh, this is a very limited version of D&D, besides, what edition are you using?
valor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hmm cool, i see you play dungeon siege lol nice pictures, i liked it but there could be owkr done to improve it
Palindine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
Krabjuice
Uh, this is a very limited version of D&D, besides, what edition are you using?

as i said in the original topic it is a D&D Style game, that had to perform to the specifics that they stated. There was no edition used.

Quote:
tony
the game is kinda confusing... but it's a good start. It would probably be better with animated turing drawn graphics (or sprites) instead still pictures found else where

IU also needs improvement...

and there're some minor bugs...

did you read the help file, just about everything was in it, i believe. as for sprites or animated turing graphics, this was made with Ver. 4.03 and at that time there was no good engine out to work with sprites, and the group I was with wasnt the best with graphics. The pictures used to move around and for the rewards were taken from Dungeon Siege using the beta version of SiegeEditor, and the monsteres were taken straight from the D&D Official website. as for the bug you encountered, i do know that it does happen from time to time but i am not sure why. it hadn't showed up until after the code was compiled. and by IU i suspect that u ment UI, which i know is extremely crude, however the program was rushed to meet the prelims.

I know that this program does need lots of work but this was what i had by the end of that semester after the contest. my group had made 6th place out of about 20 teams. as of current i am busy working on this years contest. A "Lord Of The Rings" Battlefield Simulator, which is taking up ALL of my free time just working on my small "Large" part. the website for the contest is: SAT Programming Olympics. I strongly recommend any1 still in school within short driving distance of Ottawa to get a team together and regester.
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hehehe, SAT, I thought it stood for Standardrized Aptitude Test, guess not Laughing . School of Advanced Technology

I was looking at the awards section, it seems that even if you win a trophy, your school only gets to keep it for 1 year? Laughing you don't even get to keep it. But the windbreaker jacket is nice..... Thinking

If any software are allowed, then wouldn't the students using OpenGL and DirectX be at a large advantage here? Because of the software capability itself?
Palindine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
AsianSensation
If any software are allowed, then wouldn't the students using OpenGL and DirectX be at a large advantage here? Because of the software capability itself?

last years contest only had one group using OpenGL and DirectX, and true it did give them a huge advantage in graphics, they had only come in second. How many schools do you know with a licence to program in OpenGL or DirectX?
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

As far as I know, OpenGL is free. It's a library dealing with graphics for C++, so I don't think they need a licence to use it.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

isn't OpenGL free? Confused key word here being open Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Palindine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i know its free but schools need a licence for everything, as far as i know
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hey thats pretty cool, I like it. Though the battle sound can get annoying in a while and you meet a monster in every room or what?
gamer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ya man cool game
Catalyst

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

why would schools need a license for a free technology?
tony:
its open as in open standard
the_short1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

open or freeware = home use
school = commercial... << ALWAYS need liscence... Wink Razz
kia sucks.... cuz my school is too welfare to get Ad-ware commercial **and it would be against the rules to use the personal edition... Sad so... lots of are computers are slow cuz some retards clicked yes on some secuyirity warnings....

myway search.... yahoo companian..... cursor thingys......bunch of others...
Palindine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i know what thats like, i work with tech department at school for co-op, and we use them anyway. my schoolboard is beyond welfare status. at best we have 30 2g6's and 14 1g6's and everything else is either an 866 or 366, hell we even have some 133's on our network
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 19 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: