Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 RAM question...
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
recneps

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:10 pm   Post subject: RAM question...

Ok this really pisses me off. Ok. FutureShop website says "the more mhz, the better the ram" or similar... so why is the ram i bought (which is not compatible with my comp)
-> 133 mhz: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=0&WLBS=fsweb11&sku_id=0665000FS10006748&catid=&newdeptid=18

less than the stuff that IS compatible with my comp which is 100 mhz...
-> http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=18&WLBS=fsweb7&sku_id=0665000FS47648129&catid=&newdeptid=18
The "slower" stuff is almost twice as much!!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It's kinda like parts for cars. When your car is brand new, parts for it are expensive because not many are on the road yet. About halfway through your car's lifespan, parts are really cheap because everyone has one. Towards the end of your car's lifespan, parts get more expensive because there aren't as many of them again.

PC100 RAM is still out there in a lot of computers, but those computers are pretty stable. If people wanted to add memory, they would have done so by now, and for the most part if the memory should go bad, people are going to go out and replace the machine.

As such, there isn't nearly as much PC100 memory manufactured anymore, and that means the prices go up.

I priced out RAM just today. $76 for 256MB of 333MHz DDR RAM vs. $120 for 256MH of PC133 RAM.
the_short1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

yea... it cost me like 64 dolars to buy 2 16MB strips o ram for my pent 1 120MHZ..... .it made a big DIFf.....and it was installed free (that was stores policy..) everything includes installation...

yea.... it was rare.... errr..

but... it is worth it... its the most cost erffective and beneficaial upgrade
recneps

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol whatever. I finally got me some ram, and comp runs so much faster ;D

before.jpg
 Description:
Before! :(
 Filesize:  30.67 KB
 Viewed:  2846 Time(s)

before.jpg

after.jpg
 Description:
After! :D
 Filesize:  31.87 KB
 Viewed:  2844 Time(s)

after.jpg

the_short1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

u got one 128 MB strip???
or 2 64's...

DAMIT!!!! i seen the OLDEST fricking comp today..
i was an old server... REALY huge and heavy case.... looked like crap...
but had USb... so i opened it up..

had 2 PENT2 chips in it... 7 FANS!.... 1 GB!! 1GB! RAM!!!! 4 - 256 MB strips...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and unfortunatle no HD... Sad

i got a FREE computer/../.. plus all the godies from going there plus ten hours for community service..

30 more to go Smile

NOTE: i was doing comunity service hours with Clean North (Pc recycling)
recneps

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Lol thats a nice way to get hours Smile im done mine, volunteered at my elementary school ;D
just 1 128 strip... my comp only has 2 slots Razz (i might buy another later and get 256, depends ;D)
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: