Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 zylum's "Evasive Maneuvers"
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
zylum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:19 pm   Post subject: zylum's "Evasive Maneuvers"

well it seems that everyone is making and evade style game (well mazer and cervantes) so i decided to convert my old evade_game into turing with a few minor changes

changes:

-now rather than spacebar, use shift for boost
-instead of having a constant 15 badguys, there are 5 + the level you are on
-the timer is in a bar form

i got to level 8 (my first try) how about you guys??

-zylum Laughing

evade game.t
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  evade game.t
 Filesize:  4.63 KB
 Downloaded:  428 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jonos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i lasted like 5 seconds, that is really fun though, but you could add in shooting and bombs and stuff so that it is a tank game, but this is probably better. its good how they don't come after you in a straight line and very obvious, but its really hard :/ or maybe im just stupid and can't play these games!!!
the_short1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

good game zylum... i dont know how u did that online one either Confused .. .both are amazing..... also.... i got to leve 31!!!!!! guess how i did it?????hahhaha Wink Laughing Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing Laughing 8) Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hey, those suckers follow me Confused except you use that as your advantage instead and that makes the game really easy
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Laughing look at those suckers follow me in a line

zylumEMss.GIF
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.18 KB
 Viewed:  7762 Time(s)

zylumEMss.GIF

Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
valor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

8) cool game should add in some kind of gun Razz i got to level 11 i think. anyway good game
shorthair

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Wink Good Job , +2 bits for each minute i played the online version

+ 14 Bits ( this was really entertaining ) thanks for the great release
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I just make all of them follow me at a distance, then once they all follow me, I just go in a straight line, only level 8 though Sad
zylum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

im glad you guys like the game! Very Happy i just changed it because you get way too much boost so i cut it in half... and you guys are right, the trick is to "herd" them all as early as possible and just go in a straight line or do wide circles...

short1>> how the hell did you get to level 31???? i only got to level 11!!!

-zylum
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
the_short1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:56 am   Post subject: (No subject)

'funny thing about open source'.... when the game is slow... u can always speed it up
proc updateTime
amountTime -= 1 <<<something like 25 does the trick Laughing hahahah acually i thing i got to level 8 with it at -2..... dont forget my comp is the slowest peice of sh!t and it was VERY slow so i had to change to -2

and i was wondering about this since age over time....
recently i have enjoyed the use of strint and intstr with filenames.....
like for my msn screensaver i had 96 pictures... instead of typing each one out... i could have had the picture variables an array then
for a : 1..96
pic (a) := Pic.FileNew ("msn pics\msn"+intstr(a)+".bmp")
end for
and taht takes out lots of code....

can i suggest someting...
putting this in ur active loop:

NEW USE TO intstr putting stuff in title!!!! YAY!!!!! i like i like
View.Set ("title: Time Left: "+intstr(amountTime)+" Level: "+ intstr (level) )
so u know the time left and ur level....

and this is a REAL loading bar so u know what that HUGE delay (2000) is going to be done.... since my slow comp and all...
code:

else
        cls
        locate (maxrow div 2, maxcol div 2 - 5)
        put "GOOD JOB!!!"
        View.Update
        for a : 1 .. 2000
            delay (1)
locate (maxrow div 2-1, maxcol div 2 - 5)
put "Loading: ",a div 20, " % Done"
            drawfillbox (100, 100, 100 + a div 20, 115, yellow)
            drawbox (100, 100, 100 + 100, 115, black)
            View.Update
        end for
        nextLevel

NOTE: THAT IS A REAL loading bar..... not fake

but either way zylum... u game still kicks...
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:11 am   Post subject: (No subject)

the_short1 wrote:
A REAL loading bar

Confused The real loading bar is the one that is there to show much much of the program has been loaded, not for the sake of animation Rolling Eyes

If you have a delay inside your loading bar, you should be hit... with something heavy Twisted Evil

Rule of the thumb - If you're loading something such as pictures, or reading maps, etc in the same loop as your loading bar... then it's acceptable and even welcome. Otherwise you're just wasting time and making user wait for the program to start, even though it is already ready
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
the_short1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

zylum had a delay of 2000 in his program... i jsut converted that to delays of (1) but x2000 and every 20 delays it adds one percent to loading bar... so its showing how much of jthe delay has been done already... instead of waiting enlessly for the delay to finish...
guruguru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Still, that's not a real loading bar. A real loading bar would only be used when the program takes 2 secs+ to load something. Thenyou might have a process the executes WHILE the program is loading whatever so you know how long it will take. Short_1, ures is the same as zylums (which is pointless), which is pointless Crying or Very sad . But hey, it looked good Wink .
shorthair

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

okay the definition of a loading bar ( the actual definition )

It was invented , so that while a person was doing somthing that took a large amont of time, the user would not feel that nothing was hapeneing , the invention of loading bars made users feel confindent that hte computer was working and the ( Eg . Install ) was making pogess.

It beat hte days of staring at a black screen for 20 minutes, wodering if hte system crashed , Very Happy Very Happy

A loading bar can be done in different ways ,

Way 1 : make flag files , and when the flaged file is being procesed ,the loading ba makes its move , so if our Very Happy loading 10 files and your on file 5 , it will say 50 %

Way 2 : Estimate of file size , by data rate , ( thats how microsoft Copying loading bars work , you know when it says ( 20 minutes remaining , then goes to 4 minutes remaining ) its not a very good way of estimating the time left
zylum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

how did this loadbar discussion start Confused there's no loadbar in my game Confused the delay is just there to indicate what level youre on... if it's too long for you to wait for 2 seconds then just chanage it Shocked

-zylum
guruguru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Idea Wow. Profound. Idea
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: