Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Java Vs. C++ Vs. VB6
Index -> General Programming
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Thuged_Out_G

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:34 pm   Post subject: Java Vs. C++ Vs. VB6

which is the easiest langauge of the 3 to learn. I know a little bit of VB, but i dont really like it all that much. it feels like im drawing more then programming lol.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jonos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

id say vb is the easiest. i don't know a lot about java but it seem spretty complex. c++ is easy until you get past structures and if statements and into ogl and other stuff like that.

vb is easy, though it does feel like your cheating because its all click and drag, you can make a whole program with around 10 lines of code altogether.

id go with vb, but it gets boring really fast after the shine wears off making windows apps. c++ is harder, but it gets fun later on and you can do more with it (i think)
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

We've had this debate how many times (but usually it's with turing and something else)

anyways, VB is definitely the easiest. C++ and Java are very similar. But definitely harder than VB.
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The hardest part of any of them is going to be the concepts behind them. If you don't "get" Object-Oriented Programming, then Java may be hard. However, if you don't have that understanding down, you'll be missing out on a lot in C++ and VB (go with VB.NET rather than 6, as the latter is a dead-end).

C++ is "harder" than Java because it includes more. Things like operator overloading, pointers, and templates require more time to grok, but they're worth it in the long run.

But for the easiest environmet, pick up the GNU Assembler (if you have Dev-C++ you probably already have it, the "as" command) and write x86 assembly code using AT&T synax. Smile
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if u decide to forget all that you have learn't, i'd say Java is the easiest to learn, but it might take a little while. You see once u learn java its easy to learn any other language. Java is all about getting the foundations straight.

If u know the fundamentals thoroughly, u can pick up all the languages. Except maybe scripting language. They tend to follow different rules (more flexible, more dynamic).

Also, once u start using Java to its full extent (i have), then u'll be able to see the limitations and strengths of the other languages, as u learn them.

So far all i can say is c++ is a bulky language. Far too many features. It has a couple of limitations compared to Java, but it also has it's own strengths.

VB on the other hand appears to be a highly limited language. Its not very flexible and extensible, or maintainable for that matter. But its strength is in its RAD (rapid application development) capability.

VB.net is much better. Its quite "like" java, with a BASIC syntax. And it is still just as RAD as it will ever be. It's a good choice, the only thing is: it's too verbose. But some people like that.

I personally prefer a "c" like syntax to "BASIC", that's why i like java.

Another cool language worth checking out is Haskell. Its a functional language, unlike these sequential programming languages. Math guru's will love it.
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

In the end, the answer is...

Learn them all! At least to some extent. Monoculture, as it's been dubbed, is a bad thing. If you get stuck in one language and one development environment, you miss out on a whole world of new ideas.

The worst thing in the programming world is a little knowledge. People get their MCSE or A+ certs and assume they know everything. Always learn new things. Once every two months or so, resolve to learn a new programming language. It's not as hard as it sounds. Most of the fundamental ideas are the same, it's just the details that differ.

"If all you have in your toolbox is a hammer, then every problem starts to look like a nail."
jonos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you've got to be careful about learning too many languages though. its easy to get mixed up (sometimes you're typing something for a bit then you realise you're typing turing in a c++ compiler, or you're writing c++ in turing (which has happened to me). don't overload yourself like i have cause i get bored really easily. it may be good to stick to one language until you're fairly comfortable with everything or a lot of the things about it, then to try to learn another one. i may not be the best person to take advice from though, wtd and rizzix know a lot more than me.

i also like c code better than basic for some reason. i can't describe it though, it seems a lot neater than to basic, but that just may be my style. c++ is more strict than basic i find, because in blitz basic there are different ways to type things (like delay(100) is the same as delay 100), and it gets confusing sometimes.
Catalyst

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i would to learn c++ or java (the syntax is similar)
if ur ready to take on OOP go for java
C++ can go either way but is less forgiving
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Thuged_Out_G

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i decided to go with C++ Very Happy lol..

i headed to the library, picked up a beginners Visual C++ book, and it even came with a Introductory version of Visual C++...only thing is i cant distribute the .exe's or something like that lol
the_short1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

in VB u can click and drag... im in.... hahahah... nice stuff.... i think that would be ez... compared to how hard it is to do

put "hello" on c++ compared to turing... (not saying that hard...) but common
someone typed it out in c++ a while ago byt i forget it now..
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the_short1 wrote:
in VB u can click and drag... im in.... hahahah... nice stuff.... i think that would be ez... compared to how hard it is to do

put "hello" on c++ compared to turing... (not saying that hard...) but common
someone typed it out in c++ a while ago byt i forget it now..

"Hello world!" in C++?

code:
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
   std::cout << "Hello world!" << std::endl;
}

Oh, and I'd say that none of those three languages are especially good as beginner programming languages.

VB has too much legacy stuff Microsoft has kept in it to prevent the hordes from rebelling. Too much time is spent working around its limitations compared to time spent accomplishing a task.

Java forces the object-oriented mindset. Object-orientation is a very very good thing, but...

code:
import java.lang.*;
import java.io.*;

class HelloWorld {
   public static void main(String[] args) {
      System.out.println("Hello world!");
   }
}

does not make a good introduction to programming for someone who's probably already pretty intimidated.

C++ is a great language. However there are very few good teachers of C++; people who understand and appreciate C++ as a language on its own without viewing it as "C with classes". The C++ that they teach falls victim to somewhat the same problem as VB. There is a good, clean way to do things, but no one uses it because the teachers learned it 10 years ago and never bothered to keep themselves up to date with changes.

I would recommend Python, because it makes learning easy, but that would have been before I learned Ruby. The latter, I believe, is a far cleaner language with little in the way of historical baggage, yet it manages to still be powerful.

code:
C:\> irb --simple-prompt
>> puts "Hello world!"
Hello world!
nil
>> exit
C:\>
the_short1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

too much writing... ty.... i dont know c++ but i want to learn it later.... next one to learn in Java in gr.,11 compsci
Thuged_Out_G

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i dont have to worry about having a bad teacher for C++, because im teaching myself Laughing ...so if i mess up, its my fault...and then thats what compsci is here for...am i right lol. i picked up a book from the library, its called:
Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 6.

dont know if anyone has read it before, but it seems to be pretty straight forward so far. most my errors are because of a missed ; or{} lol. so far i enjoy learning it, SOOOOOOO much more enjoyable then turing lol
Acid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I taught myself all of the programming I know...which is half-assed VB 6. No, you know what, I don't even know half-assed VB. So I know nothing. Which is why I came here. Very Happy
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thuged_Out_G wrote:
i dont have to worry about having a bad teacher for C++, because im teaching myself Laughing ...so if i mess up, its my fault...and then thats what compsci is here for...am i right lol. i picked up a book from the library, its called:
Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 6.

Just be careful. The C++ compiler that VC++ 6 uses is a piece of crap.
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: