Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 site looks crappy on mozila!!!
Index -> Programming, PHP -> PHP Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:19 pm   Post subject: site looks crappy on mozila!!!

any one know why my site looks so nice on IE and it looks crappy and larged fonted in mozila?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It would help if I could see the source to your page. I tried the link at the bottom of your post ("www"), but that refuses to load.

I will say this, Internet Explorer is much more tolerant of bad code, so it's probably been letting you gt away with a lot of nasty hacks you didn't even know were nasty hacks. Smile
Amailer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

http://evilgamerz.sytes.net/
I think is his site (found it in the UNIQUE HITS topic)

and all of your code where needed doesn't have ' or " in some places (the class's is what im looking at...) also why don't you use <span class.. bla?
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The W3C doesn't like your site, at all. In other words, it's broken. Badly.

Validator results
Amailer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:

Validator results

try sites with php and etc also they will say it is not a valid html bs bs because it's not all pure HTML ;D (javascript messes up their validator or w/e also) so...that' doesn't help much you know---
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Amailer wrote:
wtd wrote:

Validator results

try sites with php and etc also they will say it is not a valid html bs bs because it's not all pure HTML ;D (javascript messes up their validator or w/e also) so...that' doesn't help much you know---

Using PHP doesn't bother the W3C validator at all. It only looks at what the PHP program outputs. Neither does Javascript interfere with the validator.

Improper HTML, which Homer_Simpson's page is littered with, will. The best thing to do is to go through the results of the validator one at a time and fix them, one at a time. Each time, re-run the validator.

The first step is to include a doctype to tell the browser which type of markup (HTML, XHTML, strict, transitional, etc. it's receiving. You'll also want to specify a character encoding.
Amailer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

it's counting errors like
index.php?module=news
Catalyst

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

where does it say that?
even if that is the case there are many many more erros other than that
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Amailer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well either way, some errors don't make sense...
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:36 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Always start with the first errors and work down the list, rechecking it everytime you address one issue. This is done because sometimes errors made early in the code cause errors later on, much as can frequently happen with programs and syntax errors.

The biggest problems are lack of quotes, and broken nesting of elements.

After that there are significant design issues. The page doesn't make nearly enough use of CSS, uses IE-only attributes, and uses deprecated attributes like "height" in the table tag.
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol!
it's giving me a buncha bullshit about how i shouldn't use " and should use '...
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Listen to the validator. I can guarantee the W3C knows HTML/CSS/Javascript a hell of a lot better than either you or I.
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I use " instead of ' pretty much all the time and the validator doesn't complain to me about it....
   Index -> Programming, PHP -> PHP Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 13 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: