Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 transfering files from desktop to laptop
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
the_binary_soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:43 pm   Post subject: transfering files from desktop to laptop

hey I was wondering which would be more efficent/cheap for transferring files between my laptop and desktop

a usb slave device, or buying a network card for my laptop
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
shorthair

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

external nic carat goes into your PCI , slot around 40$
Maverick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I got my NIC for 15
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You could always investigate whether or not both devices support Firewire Target Disk Mode, in which the hard drive in your laptop would behave as though it were installed in your desktop.
shorthair

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if he doesnt have ethernet in hte laptop , what do you think the chances of firewire being in their , BUT i mean just o with the external nic , there cheap there fast and its useful
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Worth a shot, and PC makers come up with some really really weird configurations.
jonos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you could always just burn some cds of files.

isn't there a way to connect a hard drive to a laptop, or are the cables different?
shorthair

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah its caled external casing or an eternal drive , i have a fireire one , they come in USB2 and firewire , but if you only have USB1 then it could take about a month to transfer anything , as for putting laptop hard dives in a pc , it can be done ,
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i whould go with network crad, they are cheep if you are not going for the 1gb ones and will help you out more in the long run. alod laptop hdd are diffrent then pc ones so you may have problems that way.

wifi card is also good, alougth it is only 11mb/s or 50 depening on witch one you get.

if you whont to go the real cheap way, i think it is posable to uses a priter port cable and hoke them up that way and send stuff real slow.

network cards can have more uses in the long run so i think that is best but it deponds on alot of things, like what os b/c USB dose not work on win 95 and on what hard ware you all ready have.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: