Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 For people new to programming
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
jonos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:40 pm   Post subject: For people new to programming

So you ask what is computer programming. Well...

I, as well as some other compsci members will explain for you. I will keep my post short with a definition directly from webopedia:

ahem...

A vocabulary and set of grammatical rules for instructing a computer to perform specific tasks. The term programming language usually refers to high-level languages, such as BASIC, C, C++, COBOL, FORTRAN, Ada, and Pascal. Each language has a unique set of keywords (words that it understands) and a special syntax for organizing program instructions.
High-level programming languages, while simple compared to human languages, are more complex than the languages the computer actually understands, called machine languages. Each different type of CPU has its own unique machine language.

Lying between machine languages and high-level languages are languages called assembly languages. Assembly languages are similar to machine languages, but they are much easier to program in because they allow a programmer to substitute names for numbers. Machine languages consist of numbers only.

Lying above high-level languages are languages called fourth-generation languages (usually abbreviated 4GL). 4GLs are far removed from machine languages and represent the class of computer languages closest to human languages.

Regardless of what language you use, you eventually need to convert your program into machine language so that the computer can understand it. There are two ways to do this:

compile the program
interpret the program
See compile and interpreter for more information about these two methods.

The question of which language is best is one that consumes a lot of time and energy among computer professionals. Every language has its strengths and weaknesses. For example, FORTRAN is a particularly good language for processing numerical data, but it does not lend itself very well to organizing large programs. Pascal is very good for writing well-structured and readable programs, but it is not as flexible as the C programming language. C++ embodies powerful object-oriented features, but it is complex and difficult to learn.

The choice of which language to use depends on the type of computer the program is to run on, what sort of program it is, and the expertise of the programmer.

and there you have it Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

And then there are the personal responses, which might be fun, too.

Programming for me is an art. It's something I have to be passionate about to do well. It's about looking for an answer to a problem that doesn't yet exist because it feels good to be just a little bit ahead of the curve.
paladin style

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:31 am   Post subject: (No subject)

good job man, you write a lot, so i'm new, how do you use your bits?

Mod Edit: Second time I've found you spamming inappropriately, breach the rules 1 more time, those "bits" will no longer be a problem for you, cuz you won't have them anymore
jonos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:57 am   Post subject: (No subject)

that is spam, you should ask in general discussion or spam. but answer to your question: you can buy stuff in the shop. go check it out. but stay on topic next time.
BlAcK TuRtLe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

To me programming is a break from other harder classes. It also helps me think logically and i can use programming and appy it to other stuff in life. btw howd he get 1000 bits as a newb
Maverick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Darkness decided to give 1000 bits tro the 1000th comp sci user
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: