Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 What To Expect From Blitz 3D
Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Other Basics
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
shorthair

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:00 pm   Post subject: What To Expect From Blitz 3D

Background
Let's begin by running through what we have, and more importantly what we shall need:

No doubt you've already had a run through the demos that accompany Blitz3D, and are very keen to get stuck in and produce the next big "Quakey-Game". Unfortunately and this stage all we are going to do is start with the very basic's and work our way through all the main functions of B3D before we even think of moving on to advanced topics.

Hopefully you have a little experience of Blitz Basic programming (or for that matter any Basic language would help), Let's take a look at 3D before we delve in"¦

As your probably use to with other basic languages you have a set of co-ordinates, X (Left & Right) and Y (Up and Down). With 3D we have an extra coordinate to consider "Z", This gives us depth into the screen. For example if we were standing at a river throwing a rock as far as we can into it, what would be happening is:

As the stone leaves our hand it firstly moves away from us, and then gains height. What is happening here is that the Z coordinate is increasing as the stone moves away from us, while the Y coordinate gains height. Of course the stone will eventually fall to the ground (decrease in Y).

Its important to try and visualize these 3 axes, as we shall see a 3d world is based entirely on them.

Let's start by running through some of the major parts of Blitz3D before we start to get our hands dirty on some actual code.

Entities

The basic building blocks of all Blitz3D programs.

Cameras

Well, we all need to see what's going on !

Planes

Nope, not the flying kind with wings and engines...

Meshes

Perhaps you'd like to make your own objects from scratch.

Terrains

Rolling Hills and Landscapes, in less time it takes to put the kettle on.

MultiTexturing

Why have a plain object when you can give it a coat of many colours.

These are what the tutorials wil be focusing on , im going to try and make sure i cover each aspect with good detail
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jonos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thankyou for showing me the light!!! Very Happy looking forward to all the tutorials, i am now a blitz follower.
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

that sounds pretty awesome since it's got all those features built in it... cuz ogl program requires u to write everything yerself... but i'm almost 100% sure that the the quality and speed of ogl programming must be better...
shorthair

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

go check out my game , and then tell me what you think of the power it has
Catalyst

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

while ur game is impressive , doesnt show too much in power compared to native opengl or directx (which somewhere down the line blitzbasic uses one of them draw all that too the screen)
shorthair

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i use direct x in that game , Blitz uses both , its your preferance , im not to familier with what Homer speaks of , it jsut seems he underestimates teh power of it , Catalyst if you wouldnt mind given me a run through of what hes talkin about , id much apreciate it
jonos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

im not catalyst but i think he was saying that opengl was faster and better, but you had to code it all yourself (in c++ probably).
Catalyst

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:00 am   Post subject: (No subject)

All the features u speak of in Blitz Basic such entities, model loading and terrains are really features of their underlying 3D Engine runnning OGL or DX. If u code in c++ and use ogl or dx you have to create the engine urself (dx has some utilities libraries that make it somewhat easier) as all gfx apis allow u todo is use the features of the hardware. Since u have todo it ur self it can be as powerful as u like with any features and optimizations that suit ur needs (this is time consuming tho). BlitzBasic has a finite feature set that may or may not be optimized for what u are trying todo.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
shorthair

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Alright i see what your saying now , i was getting a little lost , but for what blitz looses in power in makes up for in time !!!!
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Regardless of whether Blitz is as powerful as C++ it's still a good language to learn. It's powerful as well as a good stepping stone from Turing and other learning languages into C++ and other complicated languages.
jonos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i think that is correct. c++ is kind of boring if you don't know a lot. ive done some c++ and some blitz and blitz is much more fun, even more fun than vb (which loses its shine after making so many apps)
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well i checked out yer game... it's quite nice actually... i can see that u got specular lighting,texturing and all that basic stuff and u got good performance speed... but i still think it wouldn't be as fast if u added more quality stuff to it like shadows and jizz like that...

but i still like yer program very much!
jonos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

unreal was made in blitz, and they used all that stuff i think, so it might be that fast, ive yet to see something in blitz with a ll that stuff.
shorthair

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

unreal was about as good as my shooter game , if not worse , blitz does reflections well ,but it does slowdwo nif they are real time ( obviously ) also shadowing with lights isnt very easy , but hte original unreal ,was a really garbage looking game ,just fun ,
Maverick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think unreal looks better then that even tho ur game is awesome.
   Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Other Basics
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 17 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: