Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 New to C++
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Bcap

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:39 pm   Post subject: New to C++

Hey guys

I'm in Grade 11, and i am currently taking the Grade 12 Tech programming course at my school. I've done the grade 10 and 11 course already, with 98% in both.

Now because i have pretty much learned everything there is in turing, combined with the fact that turing is very limited, i would really really like to learn C++.

Now i know NOTHING about it, but i am very knowledgable with Turing.

I need to know a few things, can someone give me the basics on C++, or where i can find them out. And also, what compiler to i use to program in? and where can i get it (ps. i dont want to buy it) lol.

Thanks a lot guys, you're all great!

-Bryan
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Catalyst

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Welcome to the forums Bcap.

For a good compiler/IDE goto http://www.bloodshed.net and get DevC++, it's free and easy to use.

For some introductory tutorials/books go here:
http://www.freeprogrammingresources.com/cppbooks.html

For some reference on how to use the standard libraries go here:
http://www.cplusplus.com

And if you want to learn some graphics programming (OpenGL), after you're comfortable with C++, go here:
http://nehe.gamedev.net
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:13 pm   Post subject: Re: New to C++

Bcap wrote:
I'm in Grade 11, and i am currently taking the Grade 12 Tech programming course at my school. I've done the grade 10 and 11 course already, with 98% in both.
i am very knowledgable with Turing.

oh i love it when ppl come in here thinking they are big shots... here is a tip, dont brag about ur skillz cuz there are ppl in here who are better than you in everything... juss thought u should know that

well i'm Andy, ppl call me dodge cuz of my pic, and i am the whatdotcolor mod, welcome. C++ is way different from turing, so dont count on learning everything by yourself, look around here and u "mite" learn a thing or two
Mazer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Easy killer, he never said (or implied) that he was better than everyone at everything. And we don't call you dodge because of that... pic, we call you dodge because that's what you entered as your user name when you signed up. Razz

Bcap:
Once you've got a compiler (or even before), a good site to learn the basics is www.cprogramming.com
kryten99

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hey

I'm new to C and C++ in the sense that I took courses on them last year and then promptly forgot everything I've learned.

I was wondering if anybody would know where I could find a website that concisely summarizes important C++ syntax. Examples with commentation would be ideal
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:37 am   Post subject: (No subject)

kryten99 wrote:
Hey

I'm new to C and C++ in the sense that I took courses on them last year and then promptly forgot everything I've learned.

I was wondering if anybody would know where I could find a website that concisely summarizes important C++ syntax. Examples with commentation would be ideal

Mazer wrote:
...a good site to learn the basics is www.cprogramming.com
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Mazer wrote:
Mazer wrote:
...a good site to learn the basics is www.cprogramming.com

No. Unfortunately, it's not. I read through some of the material on the site, and a great deal of it is dated and incorrect. It appears the authors in many cases don't understand programming very well themselves.
DanShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Heh, no big suprise, but im in the near same situation as Bcap. I first started learning Java, it got pretty (dull?). So I moved onto CPP, which is better. Ive learned the basics just by going to the public library and taking out "For Dummies" [haha] and other CPP books. I suggest to people that they do the same, as it will teach you the basics. And if you were as good at Turing as Bcap and I, CPP just seems to lead right off of it. All you have to do is set the connections in order.
code:

[b]Turing[/b]
var text : string
put "Hello World!"
put "Type some text: "..
get text
put "You typed in '",text,"'."
[b]CPP[/b]
/*include other basic includes, like iostream*/
include <string>
int main (*argc...  /*the basic main code, I forgot it, uhoh.*/
{
string text;
cout << "Hello World!" <<endl;
cout "Enter some text: ";
cin > text;
cout << "You typed in '" << text << "'." <<endl;
}

Pretty easy to lead off of.
put -> cout
get -> cin
var text : string -> string text;
So yeah, the public library is usually a good resource. (If you have one.)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:01 am   Post subject: (No subject)

u need to use std::string since ur not using namespace
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The cprogramming tutorials are useless, but the forums are an excellent resource.

Check out some of the links on this site, there are some great ones.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

get yourself a book, that always helps
try Sam's Teach yourself series or any other book that introduces you to C++
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: