Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Derek's Philosophy
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Agree?
(No ending time set)
Yes
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Sorta
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
Did you really say live long and prosperous???
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 15

Catalyst

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

our intelligence makes us the strongest of all Very Happy
and our ancestors survived with animals far worse than gorillas, its just a question of adapting
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think random natural events have to do with it as well, if there hadn't been an ice age, then the neanderthals probably would have survived instead of us, seeing as they have bigger brains, and the only reason they died is because they had bigger noses, and couldn't survive in the ice age.
jonos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

^agreed, everything happens because of the changing of nature
Dauntless

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Lol, i had to go back and read my original post to see if I actually had anything to say, and to figure out what it was exactly that I was talking about. Since I can't really reply to your points directly, seeing as they only touch upon like the first line of what I said, my question for you guys is this:

Do you believe there is a higher being that created and is watching over mankind? Do you believe that humans have a higher purpose, or are obligated to strive for a higher purpose than simply survival, or are we just another animal?

I believe there is not a higher being; I guess you could say that this is the result of my not having any religious background, or mainly because society today seems to hold onto the beliefs of science more so than the time-honoured beliefs of religion. I believe this because I also believe that humans do not have a higher purpose, that we are just another animal. Just like a dog, or a fish, or a lion, when we are alive, we have a personality, and we affect the others around us. When we are cut, we bleed, and when we bleed too much, we die. When we die, we are just like any other animal as well; we become minerals waiting to be returned to the earth. Our brains stop working; it is our brain that gives us personality or any other trait that is considered human. I don't believe that was in our brains on earth go to somewhere else when we die. Is there any reason it would?

Therefore, I also do not believe humans have a designated higher purpose. It is very noble to think that we as a race do indeed have a greater meaning in life, but then again I think that such ideas are again the romanticization of humans. I don't think that we have a greater purpose set for us by someone else, but I still think it would be admirable if we strove for such a goal regardless.
jonos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'd have to say that i do believe in a higher power, though not necessarily a "god" like power, a universal "power" that cause things and does not require worship, which to me is pointless though it helps many people.
*had to go read past past*
I think that humans are like you said, just another animal though we are advanced intellectually and have a greater intelligence, but that just may be our disposition or the way evolution went.
All humans can really strive for is the accumulation of knowledge, and the growth of the human race, though one day I believe we will be overtaken.

If i said anything that contradicts some of my previous posts, disregard the old posts, they mean nothing!
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

meh, I only quote this from a book I read
Quote:

In the year 2500, God's remains has been found beyond the outer ring of Saturn
jonos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well, that is a very interesting quote.
Dauntless

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That is such a great quote! The depth for analysis is endless.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
roer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The Christian God is a hard idea to fanthom. If he created everything, time and space he created his future which means he has no free will, which does not make him all powerful. We are only here because evoloution chose us to be on this planet at this time. We have hit the "Peak Oil" and this is where we start to descend. Third world countries are going to be wiped out in a few decades, first world countries will go into depressions and start fighting for the remaining energy left on this planet. If that dosent happen then AI robots will take over, why would we need to live when AI can do what we can but be 100's of times more effective, faster and efficent. Survival of the fittest.

We are here because we are here. Those looking for an explanation will not find one. If you dedicate your life to finding out the meaning of life you'd only waste it in return =P Just accept what your given and you'll have a much better time.

Say what you say, I see the world for what it is. Corruption, Death and once in a while there is a little beam of light to cheer us all up Wink
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the thing with most ppl is, they dont want to understand God, and quiet frankly, they are to arragant to even admit that there is a God.
roer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

dodge_tomahawk wrote:
the thing with most ppl is, they dont want to understand God, and quiet frankly, they are to arragant to even admit that there is a God.

I believe in God I just dont believe in how Christians define him. I can have faith in anything, I could believe that a rock created the Earth. Can you disprove that? As scientific findings increase miracles go down. Whens the last time you heard someone perform a miracle? If God is perfect why did He need to create us? Perfect means that you need nothing, you desire nothing, by creating us he became imperfect didnt He? Also in the Bible God says that he feels human emotions and such, how is that possible? Emotions exist because humans gain new knowledge or experience stimuli. If God can experience emotion then he isn't exatcly all knowing is He?
Amailer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

So science is proving mricals to be all a fake eh?
Then why does everything happne as the exact same time?? all coincidence... i dout it...
roer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Amailer wrote:
So science is proving mricals to be all a fake eh?
Then why does everything happne as the exact same time?? all coincidence... i dout it...

Explain by what you mean exact same time.

Science does try to explain many miracles. Have you read the article about the Red sea parting? One explanation was that they walked by the Reed Sea which had a depth of about a maximum of 50 cm. I am not saying science is proving miracles to be a fake, Im saying whens the last time you saw a miracle?
Amailer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

They say since now day's there is more sin in the world...there are very very fiew miricals in the world ;D

Also you gatta take it as in the olden days... the life style of living was much lower (well not as advnaced as today) so some stuff that now days we see daily were amazing thing in those days...

especially people who were dead and came alive..
roer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ya thats true, women who could do math got burned at the stake because people thought they were witches. In my personal belief, if Jesus came to this world again He would die again a painful death because we as humans are iggnorant to change Sad
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 5  [ 68 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: