Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 RPG
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:41 am   Post subject: RPG

A few friends and I are planning on making an online rpg in directx. Anyone who's interested in helping post here: We need everything, from ideas, to programmers. No C++ knowledge required
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Asok

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 2:28 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well I'm currently working on an RPG in OpenGL. I can offer whatever advice I can but DX and OGL work very differently, I reccomend the tutorials at www.gametutorials.com it helped me alot Wink
jamez

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

im interested in helping...

ive been teaching myself c++ for a couple weeks so i dont have THAT much knowledge in it. but as you said none is required Smile
Catalyst

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ill help too, i know c++ fairly well, but have no knowledge of direct x (open gl person)
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I also know the basics of c++ and i have long programming experience. I think i can help too Smile
haujobb

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 4:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Id like to help, i ahve experience copying and pasting and changing c++ code while modding the machine gun in halflife!!! woot

What compiler are you using? Are u using ogl or dx? What tasks need to be done?
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 5:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hows the project coming??
Martin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, I know more c++ than I did when we started Razz School and stuff is bogging me down, so hopefully over the summer we'll (I'll...) get started. I wanna do usaco too...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
ShadowStorm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:31 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm up for it.. I\ve been teaching my self C++ for a few weeks now.. i'll offer the most help i can.. probably some graphics or something.. Wink

and for those that want to elarn C++ or any other language got to www.free-ed.net.. Wink
Dark Matter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:21 pm   Post subject: About that.....

Sorry for responding to something that was posted over a year ago, but how's the project coming so far? Because it sounds like a great idea. I have some knowledge with C++, but my Mac doesn't support DirectX, so if I became a coder I'd have to get Virtual PC or something like that, and Microsoft Visual Studio.
I also have something called XCode (which I have no idea how to use, but I should get the hang of it easily), which supports OpenGL. BTW: is there a version of DirectX for the Mac?
Seriously though, it sounds great, and I'd totally be up for it. I can also write, draw, and probably do 3D graphics, so drop me a line at iammjc@hotmail.com.

Just remember, before you start (even though you're probably way ahead of that by now):

1. First, you need a well-developed story, complete with plot, setting, and characters. Decide what the characters' abilities should be. This takes a lot of creative thinking.

2. Then, you need to draw. A lot. You need lots of concept sketches of characters, props and scenary, followed by well-rendered drawings to help you decide what the character should look like. Keep your resolution budget in mind, and know what it is.

3. Using these drawings, create 3D graphics. When you test the game later on, you may need to tone them down a bit more if the resolution is too high, which would then lag the game. They can be as good as you want for the cinematic cut-scenes, though.

4. The code. You can actually start this process before the graphic-and-animation production is complete, but you won't be able to import any 3D models until they're ready. This part requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, and trial-and-error. Test it as you go.

5. Once the project is complete (but still modifiable), you need to test it to make sure there are no more bugs. This involves two procedures:
-Checking the logic of the code, creating a flowchart, and making sure everything works
the way you wanted it to
-Playing the game. Unfortunately, this part isn't fun, because you have to test every inch
of the levels (to make sure the character doesn't walk through walls), make sure the
enemies' AI works, make sure all the collectibles and weopons work, make sure the
character always does exactly what you want him/her to, and nothing else, make sure
the level progresses properly with no dead ends, and any "chain of events" you planned
works. This is your
last chance to remove any glitches.
TIP: To speed up your progress, disable your character's health (make him/her invincible)

6: Get feedback. Let your friends play the game and tell you what they think. Based on their criticism, you can make the game more challenging, tweak the graphics, edit the story, modify the controls, etc. Unfortunately, this also means you'll have to test it AGAIN to make sure it still works.

Have fun, and keep me informed.

PS: If you're into serious hardcore gaming, try self-modifying code. I'm not making that up, it's possible.
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Wow... I feel kind of bad for you having typed up that long reply. Don't worry, you didn't actually miss anything by showing up now. This project (so far as I know) never actually started. Though knowing Darkness, that had to be expected Wink

Some good ideas though.
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Xcode is a seriously cool IDE that supports Java, C, C++, and Objective-C out of the box. I've used its predecessors, and even those were incredibly powerful. The underlying compiler is GCC.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

uhmmm... Rolling Eyes yea...
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i feel like making something big over the summer...
Dark Matter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:44 pm   Post subject: Too bad....

Oh well, I guess the thing that really stood in everyone's way (aside from the huge workload) would have been trying to work with people all over the world. Anyway, I'm going to Sheridan next year, and I've been thinking of getting some Comp Sci students together with Computer Animation/Graphics students and Video/Sound Technology students. I'm kinda just blowing smoke here, but it might work. I might also have to tempt some students from OCAD, Seneca, Humber.......
I just need to do lots of studying this summer. There's a book I want to get called Game Art for Teens. It comes with Maya Personal Learning Edition. And of course, I need to get used to OpenGL with XCode (I might get a book for that, or I might just freeload off some sites, who the hell knows).

And for GOD'S SAKE will someone PLEASE tell me how to add an avatar? Everytime I try, it just gives me a question mark where my avatar should be.
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 29 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: