Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Flaming Bandwagons
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Who's with me?
(Voting is closed)
AYE!
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
nay.
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

Dauntless

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:29 am   Post subject: Flaming Bandwagons

Man, I just had to rant about this somewhere. I went to MrCranky.com to see what it was all about. It's a guy who reviews movies and tells everyone how crappy it was. And he goes on to use interesting exaggerations to slam the movie.

So,
a) What the hell is up with people like that? He doesn't even have a positive rating for a movie, the closest he has is "tolerable".
b) Why search out bad movies and waste 2 hours of your time watching crap?

Then the people who visit the site can flame the movie along with him. Take Battlefield Earth's review, for example:

Quote:
If Christian can get a job as a Sears portrait photographer after this movie, Congress should make the use of cameras punishable by death. Every single scene is at an angle, which gave me the urge to slide off my chair and smash my skull into the floor. Action scenes look like they were shot inside a paint mixer.

If egos were farts, one imagines John Travolta could destroy an entire planet himself by devouring a single frozen burrito.

Sure, that's pretty original. But basically, he's just paraphrasing what he has said about other movies of the same calibre. This is a guy that's desperate for attention, and his shtick is saying a bad movie is worse than [fill in gross exaggeration of something truly horrible].

If all that insincere disgust at a movie isn't bad enough, people actually compare them to more ludicrous things; take these user review titles for example:

Quote:
I would rather suck a dick and get fucked up the ass than see this again. -BillyZ

Man, if someone took you up on your offer, your pantywaistedness would be revealed.

Quote:
The AIDS of bad movies

Not just a bad comparison, but insensitive and offensive to some too. The guy is trying to compare bad to bad, but his subjects are incompatible; the movie isn't contagious, hereditary, or deadly...He's just trying to jump onto the cool bandwagon of movie flamers. And then there's the people who slam the director, actors, etc. E.g "The movie is shit because the actors are bad and the directors are bad and the plot was bad. A waste of time and etc..." So stop wasting your time posting redundant bad reviews.

FINALLY another thing people love to jump on to the bandwagon for; anti-George Bush ness (?). Ok, we get it, a large amount of people don't like him because he doesn't have a very intelligent aura around him, he almost died from a pretzel, and he starts wars with people. Right. So now that we have the distilled reason, it should end there right? Of course not; all the web monkeys of the world create and use forums to slam him in unique ways until eventually, to avoid redundancy, they exaggerate and paraphrase. Etc. Take urbandictionary.com for example. Look at the definition for George Bush; it's ridiculous.

Personally, I don't like him. I also don't like American people. But the things they say about him are ludicrous; you can't extrapolate that he's a really stupid dumbass, or whatever you want to call him, just from what you see in his public addresses. Clearly the man really believes in his goals, and he's willing to take the heat for it. His alleged coverups etc. are no good, but everyone covers up. He believed in his goals so much that he would do anything to reach them. That's admirable. I think it's fine to base your thoughts on extrapolations from his public persona, but to make strong positive statements like "Bush sucks dick because he started a war with Iraq" is immature and unfounded.

Quote:
Antichrist; Man who as stupid and ignorant as he is is also a total fucking sadist with no compassion for Human Life and has a distorted view of his idealistic world- just like hitler- or as wu-tang put it: "One Blood Under W"

Man, that guy is a George W Bush!

Man, that's a prime example. George W. Bush is the antichrist because....He is a total sadist? No compassion for human life? People need to get in touch with reality.

The saddest part is that people who submit definitions like that get like 44 votes on average in their favour. And you can't get them deleted, because your requests don't go through.

What I'm trying to say is, cut the hyperbolous crap and say something with some foundation. Empty threats and empty insults are the bread and water of people who have nothing of substance to say.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jonos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:12 am   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah. that us messed up, i don't read things like that anymore because it is prime example of human stupidity and ignorance, which makes me suicidal fearing the end of mankind. how the hell is g. bush the antichrist.
Mazer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:39 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I think it has to do with the anonymity of the internet. With stuff like that, you don't really need to back up what you say and you can say whatever you want even if you don't honestly believe it. Because, let's face it, what are the chances that you'll ever meet someone you're talking to (about stuff like this) in real life?
And do you ever meet people who would actually say things about a movie like that? They may say that they dislike the movie, or even say the movie was a piece of crap but I don't think they would go so far as to say what you quoted. And if they have, they seriously need somebody's foot up their ass.
jonos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

its like on counterstrike when people think its cool to say that people suck and start "word fights", only because they are anonymous, so its stupid.

there is a very good quote to describe this stuff:

Online fighting is like the special olympics, even if you win you're still retarded.

and there you go, don't tell me im insensitive or anything, don't read it again if you don't like it, or tell a mod to delte it, or tell me to, i know some peoplea re offended by thatm but hey.
naoki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

STFU dauntless u know nothing about battlefield earth. i think they weren't wrong when they bashed that movie so much. just watching travolta try to be evil made me cry more than a front kick to the balls.

also john travolta can actually kill people by eating a burrito, he was on oprah once and ate one and then proceeded to kill the front row audience. i swear it happened

and george bush is stupid cuz he's president and he's from texas and he talks funny and my daddy said so because he works at ford and his boss always says so .............

also his boss gives me candy
jonos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you gotta love the bosses who give out candy. tell your dad that ford makes crappy cars, not trucks though cause they are good trucks.
Dauntless

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Discuss the topic please.

Btw...Naoki, you're a bear. Check out my 'location'.
naoki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i was joking about my dad working at ford thing. i was trying to mock dauntless' remarks.

also, STFU dauntless or else i'm gonna tap your chick. You know, the one who keeps getting her Macbeth theories wrong
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dauntless

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Tap her, tap her. Clearly she is too much of a crackass philosopher (barely more than an angst poet) to be of any more intellect than a blow up doll, which she will hence be used as. Someday.
Amailer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

MeH, why are you guys making such topic Naughty
jonos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

they like to talk about passing around their girlfriends.
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Dauntless says : "Go long!"
Paul goes long
Dauntless: "Catch!" *throws*
Paul is eating ramen...
Dauntless' girlfriend hits the ground...
jonos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thats very clever
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wait dauntless, ur goin out with marie? and naoki, i thought ur daddy was a secretary
Dauntless

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol no, its an inside joke...unless you're between me and naoki during english class, you wouldn't be able to hear us.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 22 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: