Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 the rules
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> [FP] Contest 2006/2008
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:06 pm   Post subject: the rules

welcome to the second semi-anual [FP] contest held by compsci.ca Very Happy I don't remember what happened during the first one, I think Darkness was organizing the entire thing Confused So this time I'm putting myself in charge and setting up official rules for it.

General:
- All entries to be considered must be submited to this forum.
- Subject line should read [FP] program name
for example: [FP] Tetris
- It must be your own program. If parts of code or graphics are not yours, list appropriate credits/permissions/etc
- The program must have been writen resently
- The program must not have been in previous [FP] contest
- One submission per user

Voting:
- Each submission must also include a poll so that users can vote on a 1-5 scale
- Options should be:

Amazing
    Good
    Average
    Need improvement
    Horrible

Vote appropriatly. Votes that are way out there (such as "sux" on an amazing submission) will not be counted.

Results:
Results will be determined by a group of judges (to be appointed later on) based on the votes in the polls, quality of user feedback on the submissions and their own judgement. The deadline is a week or so after we feel that exams in most schools are over.

Prizes:
Other then being showered with bits, your [FP] will be featured on the main page.

Note: if you already submitted your [FP] to [Turing Submissions], ask one of the mods to move it for you. (You can PM me for example)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
recneps

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:43 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Is it to be in Exe form or Source or both?
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

your choice... but if you're going with source code, make sure you attach the file, not just paste it into the message
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
DanShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

When is this due by ? I just noticed my FP has a few small...but significant bugs to work out. (AI works for one monster, not for others. 1 Monster shows up, others dont...1 monster is th ere, but doesnt show up, and doesn tmove. Sad )
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the official deadline is yet to be announced. Once exact date is determined, I'll post it on the front page (/mx) in advance.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
DanShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ok tx
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Alright, from now on, whenever you submit a project to be marked, please make sure of the following:

1) You attach the file to be submitted. If you are submitting source code, make sure to also include a stand alone executable file.

2) Make sure that you tag the topic with [FP] Project Name. So if you just finished making Doom IV, your topic would be called [FP] Doom IV

3) Make sure that you include a poll, with all five voting options. If you forget, that's alright, you can always edit your post.

4) In the message, including:
-a description of what it is exactly that your project does
-a description of your programming experience (if somebody who's finishing grade 12 computer science hands in a buggy version of pong, I'm going to laugh at them. If someone in grade 10 hands in the same program, that's a different story entirely.)
-a list of all of the features of your program
-a list of any known bugs in the program (be honest Razz This can actually make you a better programmer)
-any features that you plan(ed) to add.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well Darkness stated things nicely...

now just dont go and call your bugs as "special features". I remember someone having this buggy platformer game where you would randomly die at times for no apparent reason and he would convince his teacher that it is in fact an "invisible, unkillable enemy" that is there to make the game "more challanging" Laughing
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
the_short1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:48 pm   Post subject: Questions.......

should i post my PacMan cuz i handed that in at the end of the year for Bonus marks (wasn;t required) or

does it have to be from a Final project for grade (ie: cumulitive task, or exam???)

cuz i made this accounting program for my gr.10 final exam in comp science...where you ask each member their id, wage, and hours worked... then outputs EI, income.. total after deductions...etc.. all in a nice table...should i submit it instead???
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Final Project is a bit misleading. Think of this as a forum for any major programming accomplishments that you've had. Big things, that took a lot of time, headache and effort on your part. Anything that you would think of as a landmark in your programming life. If your pacman fits this description, then by all means post it.
recneps

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

And a question. What if i make something better and wanna replace my school fp? ;D
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i suppose you get a mod to delete your original submition Confused
recneps

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ill just stick with my crappy games prog for now Smile (It was good for being new to programming.... Wink)
guruguru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I would think it'd be better if you only submitted things that you personally think are good, and are actually good! Something that you spent a lot of time perfecting. If you sumbit like your first program as a programmer, it will probly suck (no ofense) and it would be a waster of time for the judges.

That's my opinion. So sue me Razz .
the_short1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i agree... it took me over 4 months to get where i am with pac man...
i starting making it when i realy sucked tho and i did not know how to do arrays....

we need to find the ppl that are voting MELICIOUSLY...... like ive notice everywhere... even on a pretty good program, 1 'sucks' rating...
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> [FP] Contest 2006/2008
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 42 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: