Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Always state your compiler
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
McKenzie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:41 am   Post subject: Always state your compiler

Unlike Turing C/C++ compilers come in many shapes and sizes. I find that half of the posts leave me asking: Well, what compiler are they using? Console or Windows based? If you look at the threads, I'm not the only one who wonders this. To avoid a) People not responding because they don't have enough information or b) getting responces like "well if it's MS VC++ try this, if it's DJGPP thy this, if it's ..." please include at very least the compiler in your question.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
ViRuAl_InFeCtiON_vErsIonX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:28 pm   Post subject: qustion

I use turing and im trying to expand on my programming skills my learning a new language and i was wondering which one of the two compliers that you mentioned is better and which one do more people use and where the place i can get them

p.s if the spelling bad sry im tired havent been sleeping this week much Very Happy
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

VC++ you have to pay quite a bit for, unless you are willing to use other methods...

Your best bet is probably GCC, look in the C++ tutorials section for more help. Namely, http://www.compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?t=9420 Smile.
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:26 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Well im useing Dev C++ , so you guys no.

Also, i wont be asking for help with C++ for a while, this way you guys cant discourage me, iv'e made up my mind, and im going for the fustrating, head breaking, knowledge of C++!!!!

Though, if you dont mind, ill start my own 1 post, of **Progress** to alow others to see where i stand with the C++ language...

Bye for now, i gotta get to bed...
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:59 am   Post subject: (No subject)

TokenHerbz wrote:
Well im useing Dev C++ , so you guys no.

I would higly suggest reconsidering this. Learning C++ is one thing, but to make that attempt and use an IDE that gains you very little over tried and proven compilation techniques is another.

IDEs can be valuable (I use MonoDevelop every once in awhile), but Dev-C++ doesn't offer anything especially compelling, and adds the mental overhead of "projects" and "organization" that isn't necessary for the level of programming you'll be doing as you gain an understanding of C++.

TokenHerbz wrote:
Also, i wont be asking for help with C++ for a while, this way you guys cant discourage me, iv'e made up my mind, and im going for the fustrating, head breaking, knowledge of C++!!!!

So, why post here now? If you don't want us involved, then just do it.

However, I stringly suggest asking questions. When learning new technologies, we all make mistakes. That is a constant. The variable element is when we catch those mistakes.

If you make a stupid mistake early on, and then don't fix it until a month down the road, then there's a good chance you'll have to sift through an entire month's worth of learning to fix all of the other mistakes that were based on that one.

It's rather like fixing errors in a C++ programmer. You may get 40 errors. You only fix the first one, then recompile. Why? Because most of the other errors were likely actually correct code, and the first error just made that code look wrong. Smile

So, it's up to you, but if you're open to constructive criticism, then asking for help here will really help you with the very daunting task of learning one of the most complex programming languages around.
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

alright, i just figured the C++ tut's would last my a while, but ill ask questions when im confused, as for the comiler, which would you recomend, thats free? one better then dev C++ / im on Win 98.
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:59 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Dev-C++ is not a compiler. It's simply an "environment". It basically just provides a "compile" button that runs g++ (the GNU C++ compiler).

MinGW is "Minimal GNU for Windows", and provides an up-to-date port of the GNU Compiler Collection to Windows. This is your best bet, along with gaining an understanding of Windows' command-line. There is a tutorial here on installing it.
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

so Dev C++ will just let me run the code, but i cant like change it to an .exe?

Also, heres my 1st questions, whats the "return" for?? do i need it?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

No, Dev-C++ will create an executable for you. It simply calls g++ for you, and does what g++ would. Howeber, Dev-C++ tends to ship with outdated versions of g++, and is just generally buggy.

When learning C++ you'll have enough curveballs to deal with without having to warp your mind around the eccentricities of an IDE.

The command-line is boring, but it does what it does, and does it reliably.

And in what context are you talking about "return"?

This should really be moved out of this sticky thread.
md

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The biggest problem I think for people who are trying to learn C or C++ (or most other languages) when they started with turing is that they have the mistaken impression that hte IDE is the compiler. It's hard for them to grasp that Dev-C++, or MSVC++, or whatever else are all just IDEs. Underneath them all there is a compiler which is what actually does the work.

Alas I have no idea how to make this apperent to new C/C++ programmers, but I think that it would help people a lot to understand the differences between IDEs and compilers.
shaon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:27 pm   Post subject: Re: Always state your compiler

Well I suppose on behalf of all the noobs trying to learn C++, care to tell what compiler is the least trouble some and is powerful? To those used to python or turing or java, worrying about compiler problems and bugs that came with your IDE was never an issue. The compilers for those language were sure to work, but from seeing this thread, it seems there are compilers which could work, might, work, will work, and will not definitely work. Really if somebody can just write which compiler is the most reliable, I think it would a save a whole lot noobs from death.
nike52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:59 pm   Post subject: Re: Always state your compiler

Don't be an idiot ! After bashing your head on the keyboard 50 times, ask for help ! Besides, people like giving help. It's smarter to ask for help and put away a bit of your ego then going nowhere.

I've also had alot problems whereby simply in the process of writing the post, I found a way to solve the problem because writing forces you to be specific and clear. Writing and asking for help are a great skills to learn, not only for programming, but in life.

I recommend Dev C++ for the newbie, I didn't have any problems with it while learning C++. Golly, all I had to learn for that IDE was F9, compile. Command line is like a prick in the butt. I wouldn't go deep into that IDE, once you've mastered C++ with it, move on to better IDEs. Other IDEs can be as comprehensive to learn as C++. Another prick in the butt when you only want to master C++.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:11 pm   Post subject: Re: Always state your compiler

nike52 @ Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:59 pm wrote:
Command line is like a prick in the butt.

nike52 @ Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:59 pm wrote:
... once you've mastered C++ ...

I highly doubt you'd be mastering any programming language if you're purposely avoiding a terminal window.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
OneOffDriveByPoster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:26 pm   Post subject: Re: Always state your compiler

shaon @ Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:27 pm wrote:
Well I suppose on behalf of all the noobs trying to learn C++, care to tell what compiler is the least trouble some and is powerful?
The compiler you will most likely be able to get help with is GCC 3+. If you are strictly a Windows user, go for MinGW for a GCC port. I personally use Cygwin though.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:27 pm   Post subject: RE:Always state your compiler

The command line and shell might be the singal most powerfull tool i have used. It is defatly worth your while to try to learn how to complie things from the comand line and move around and do tasks on a computer threw it.

With nix based servers it is almost required that you know how to use the command line/some shell to be able to adminstatre them.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 23 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: