Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 REFORMATTING MY OLD COMPUTER-HELP
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Boarder16

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:06 pm   Post subject: REFORMATTING MY OLD COMPUTER-HELP

I am reformattign my old pentium 2.. i no i no its old but i need help i insert the boot disk and it loads and says...
'Type teh anme of teh command interpreter. (eg. , "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.com)
so what do i type in???
need help as soon as possible......
thanks Razz
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
shorthair

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

"formact C : \s"

or

" fomat C: "

or to jsut delete the partiton

fdisk
Boarder16

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

no no no.. its already formatted i have stuck the win98 boot disk in.. and it isn't loading windows 98 it says that thing i said in the first post i laredy formated C;\ lol
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if u just foramted and u are using just a boot disk it will not work b/c u got nothing to boot to. u need an win98 or w/e install disk.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
recneps

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:46 am   Post subject: (No subject)

if its your "old" computer, then go to your "new" computer and make a boot disk (the one you ahve by looks of it is not, as a boot disk contains command.com) then use that, and have the win cd in cdrom, then type d:\
and the dir \p its probably install or setup, but check Smile
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:42 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well your first post says you are reformatting your computer. it doesn't say its already formatted.

anyways -- shorthair --> whats the /s for?
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

/s copies the dos system files (io.sys, msdos.sys and command.com) to the drive so that you can boot it
what it really does is install dos... but with only the 3 system files and no others so you will be limitted to the built in commands. ie dir, cd, copy, etc

the reason you were getting that error when you tried to boot with your disk is that your command.com file is missing from the disk (command.com being the file that duh duh duh contains all the built in commands)

but if you're gonna be formatting the hd you're probably gonna want an os on it, so the best thing would be to let the installer format the hard drive. so just put in your disks for installing and start the installation
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: