Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 turing equivalent
Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:11 pm   Post subject: turing equivalent

you know in turing when u wanna declare a procedure that could change the value of arguments you would go like this:
procedure blah(var args:int)
args:=3
end blah

now in java when i make a procedure... i can't change the value of my arguments inside my procedure... i need to know how to do that...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well if it is a primitive: int, double, float, char, byte, short, long etc... you can't since primitives are passed my value. What u can do is use the Integer, Float, Double... etc.. encapsulation classes instead. Objects are passed by reference. so yep! you can do that. but i should point out.. thats bad coding in java terms.

in java, in fact most pure OOP languages: never change the contents of the arguments unless absolutely necessary
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Indeed, the only way you could achieve something like this is by having the procedure alter an instance or static variable.

code:
import java.lang.*;
import java.io.*;
import java.util.*;

class Test
{
   private static int number;

private static void addOneToNumber()
   {
      number = number + 1;
   }

private static void main(String[] args)
   {
      number = 41;
      addOneToNumber();
   }
}
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well... that makes a lota sense... i think i'm gonna make a separete class just for that specific object of mine... thx for the response... + bits
   Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: