Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 avg vs. norton
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
jonos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:13 am   Post subject: avg vs. norton

i have norton 2004 internet security, and i also downloaded avg. i was wondering which one is better, though norton has the name but i have recieved a virus from it's automatic update, and it is very slow and slows my computer down. is avg any better? or should i stick with norton.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:25 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I prefer AVG... and once my friend's computer was messed up... bunch of viruses and AVG caught those Norton didn't
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well free > notfree, lol

also i like avg better then norton. i mean if u buy anti-virus software u should not have to pay more to update the dam thing!
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
the_short1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

everyone always thinks the best program is the most popular advertised one... ive had Norton but its too slow on my Slow PC.... AVG takes up less Ram, and has saved my skin from at least 20 Virus. (i never had comp crash to virus that i know of for 2 years)(hd crashed couple thio)

Even with the Control Center Closed, you still have virus protection....
(there a BUILT IN process (small) that starts with computer that is hidden) only thing is AVG doesn;t AUTO check everything downloaded... you have to right click on files... or integrate into your programs...

like Download Acelerator PLus, i have it to run avgse.exe after file completion.... AVGSE.exe is the little windows extension to scan, AVGSCAN.exe is a dos based version... <same deal, SE is faster>

AVG also has a nice bootup scanner that scans Boot drive (scandisk,command.com) etc.

AVG has Auto update...NOrton has that too...
Which one costs more.... <<AVG <FREEE><norton <TONS OF CASH>>>

Bottom line... i think AVG BESt for its ez effectivenesss, and ability to shut down during online gamming so i dont lag to crap//.Norton needs run 24/7
jonos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

actually we only got norton security for 10 bucks or something because it was either that or something else by the company and it was a good deal, but you have convinced me so ill uninstall norton. i can always reinstall it so im no screwing myself or anything. im off to install windows 3.1, yeah.....
the_short1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

...yea to update cost cash.,.. stupid people at norton... retarded idea...

Windows 3.1 Why u want that????
jonos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

cause it is awesome, i got those games that i think you sent me the url to and i remember playing them in 3.1 when i was a kid and i want it just for the memories. i also downloaded windows. 1.01/1.0 which is around 700 kb haha. i already have an old 2 gig formatted in fat and partitioned into 2 separate drives, so im going to install it that way. norton is gone for now, but you do get 365 days exactly of free updates. thanks everyone
the_short1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

can u hook a fellow Compsci Brother up with Win 3.1??? PM me if you can
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
shorthair

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I have windows 1 , its one of hte greatest thingsever and under 5 MEG , but back to the antivirus scene , ive been lucky casue i dont use one , i just have my very very very secure network ( unbreakable ) WHY you ask , becusae i the maximum amount of nodes set to 2 , so you cant get into it ,
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:
I prefer AVG... and once my friend's computer was messed up... bunch of viruses and AVG caught those Norton didn't

Yep, samething happened to me, thats why I only have AVG now.
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

where do u get AVG? kazaa?
Amailer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, i like norton, except i hate that thing you gatta keep paying for their virus liveupdates -.-!

My norton expired, and i use AVG now...
Norton catches viruses faster then AVG -.-!
recneps

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

pfft, paying is for newbies. And norton is better for the computer illiterate ppl like my mom because it scans EVERYTHING that goes in or out. Smile and it pops up "Theres an update available!"

The one "loophole" in norton.... "OOPS! Did i format my hd and then reinstall and get 1 year free updates?" Very Happy
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

AVG updates every 2 weeks generally.. doesn't norton update every day or two generally? seems to me that norton is way better. except it costs money. and therefore, norton sucks Laughing
recneps

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You can get free with a new PC, and just follow my trick every year, and you're set Very Happy, and yes they update once a week, but usually more, as there are major virus outbreaks
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: