Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 REALLY NEED HELP!!
Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
metropolitan_man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:21 pm   Post subject: REALLY NEED HELP!!

HI ppl
i know this dont really have much to do with java

but i need to know if unix and linux are the same thing and if they are not then what are the differences

thanks to anyone who hels Very Happy Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Analogy: Unix is to linux as DOS is to Windows.

so Linux is an operating system written in Unix.

and why did you post this in Java help Eh should be General discussion, but whatever.
shorthair

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

cervantes has you on the right track almost, becuase we dont build windows on DOS anymore , just look at any graphical version or NT based ( i belive may be a bit wrong ) and has much more richness , but inlinux , alot of thelinux kernals still use unix , hence the big lawsuit on IBM for using unix code in their distribution of linux , linux could be writtten without unix but it wouldnt be linux then , for the differences between them , you will find that unix is not common very more yet its still used by some companys and big servers , linux cannot be deifned as there are like 200 variations of it , i mean you cuoold have one that is very clsose to unixand another that isnt , i suggest that you question would be better answered wit ha certaing distribution of linux , persay Red hat , or Mandrake
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't think he means anything quite so detailed shorthair Eh from what I interpreted all he wanted was a basic explanation of the similarities of unix and linux.
200 variations of linux.. whether they are like unix or not they are still based on unix.

oh the other thing to add is that (of the ones that I've seen Eh) linux is a graphical operating system, like windows Smile
shorthair

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ive never seen a command linux , but im sure there is one cause there is command line windows and all , but anyway did we answer your qestion ? is this like a homework assignment like essay thing or just a quick class question
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

UNIX was originally developed by AT&T in the 70's, and was licensed to numerous other companies (IBM, Sun, SGI, HP, DEC, Apple, Microsoft, etc.).

Also it was licensed to the University of California at Berkely.

Those original lincensees have rewritten their operating systems from scratch since, replacing the old code. If they haven't, then they've breached the original UNIX license. SCO believes this to be the case and as holder of the intellectual properties associated with UNIX is suing some of those companies.

At the same time, the Berkely people created the Berkely Standard Distribution (BSD) of Unix. When I say "Unix", I imply something that is (largely) compatible with and based on the same principles as UNIX. Several operating systems have evolved from and drawn from BSD (OpenBSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD, NeXTSTEP, Darwin, etc.).

What it took to become a "Unix-like" operating system eventually became open and available to anyone. One of the efforts to create a "clone" was Minix, which had the aim of running on limited hardware (286s and such).

Linus Torvalds worked with Minix and became disenchanted with it, so he undertook an effort to create his own Unix-like operating system. This is where Linux comes from.

Linux is not built on top of Unix, or derived from any particular Unix operating system. It largely follows the same principles, and may share user tools with those systems, but it is its own OS.

Oh, and Linux is not "inherently graphical", whatever that means. Linux is just a kernel, and perhaps some user-accessible utilities for interacting with it. User interfaces are provided by shells which sit on top of that kernel and send messages to it and receive messages from it. For command-line purposes this is either bash, tcsh or ksh most of the time.

It's more complicated when it comes to graphical user interfaces. These also sit on top of the kernel, so one can choose from any number of graphical shells. This can also be done on Windows, with alternatives to the Explorer shell like LiteStep. It's more difficult, but it's possible.

Some linux GUIs work similarly to those on, say a Mac or Windows computer, but the majority of applications use the X11 protocol. X11 works on the premise of server-client relationships. The client sends events (like clicking a mouse button or key) to the server, and the server sends back the result.

For most desktop users this means that they run both the serverand client on the same machine, but in more advanced setups, it's possible to run the server on a remote computer (in the next room, or the next continent), and the client on your own. Thus the application you're using could be running 1000 miles away and you still interact with it like it were running on your own computer. This is referred to as "network transparency."

I hope this summary has been of help.
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well to make things short.. Linux is the hacker ver of UNIX.. (UNIX was to expensive those days) so u have the Linux here developed by hackers.. UNIX on the other had.. is any OS that follows some standards. Anyways SCO is the licensing company when it come to UNIX. so if u don;t have a license from SCO its not UNIX.

Technically Linux is also any OS that follow the Linux standards and uses the Linux kernel.

The Linux standarads have deviated from those of UNIX, so yea technically there is a difference.
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It's important to note the difference between "UNIX" and "Unix". The former is one operating system in particular, while the latter refers to an entire family of operating systems.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: