Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Are we falling behind in Math and Science?
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
ThomasWown

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:18 am   Post subject: Are we falling behind in Math and Science?

Is North America regressing in the maths and sciences? Well at least According to statistics published here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nickmorrison/2016/11/29/far-east-strengthens-grip-on-math-science-rankings-u-s-students-slip-further-behind/

Even the manufacturing of products like video games are heavily outsourced to East Asian nations such as South Korea.

There are some awesome online learning resources in these areas but diminishing national pride needs further encouragement.

How can we produce more "Steve Jobs" in North America? Or is this an end of an era . . .
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:08 am   Post subject: RE:Are we falling behind in Math and Science?

Steve Jobs wasn't produced, he just was. He wasn't particularly gifted at math and he dropped out of school. I don't know why you brought him up.

Generally, video game development isn't hard, it's just a lot. You don't hire engineers to build a house, you hire construction workers. Game development needs construction workers, and India & co have the cheapest ones. The engineering is still? done mostly at home.

I dunno what National pride you see diminishing. Other countries getting better doesn't make us worse. If anything, the awesome online resources are *why* they're doing better! They have the same access as we do, after all!

And finally, it's funny you mention South Korea/Asia. They gave us Samsung, Nintendo, Sony, etc. I mean, Asians pretty well invented the gaming industry! Are the jobs being outsourced, or are we simply giving them back?
ThomasWown

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:14 am   Post subject: RE:Are we falling behind in Math and Science?

I used the video game industry just as an example. We can look at the automobile industry and pretty much anything else if you take China under consideration. Technology is what separates us from animals. Guess which part of the globe is leading the charge? Exactly . . .
Insectoid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:10 pm   Post subject: RE:Are we falling behind in Math and Science?

How are we falling behind in those markets? I look around and see American, European and Korean cars. That's the same thing I saw ten years ago, and twenty years ago. I can't name a single Chinese brand. As far as tech, I mean, come on, we've got self-driving electric cars now!

The West invented consumer virtual reality. Are we falling behind?

China only in the last year developed the tech to build high performance jet engines. They weren't capable of manufacturing the parts within tolerances. All of their engines until now contained foreign parts. Are we falling behind?

It's true that manufacturing is being outsourced. We still invent awesome stuff, we just get others to build it for us. We aren't falling behind, we're just so far ahead that progress is slow, and everyone else is catching up.
ProxyKaliber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:14 am   Post subject: Re: Are we falling behind in Math and Science?

Damn, that's some philosophy right there.
EricLover

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:27 pm   Post subject: Re: Are we falling behind in Math and Science?

ThomasWown @ 2017-03-24, 22:18 wrote:
Is North America regressing in the maths and sciences? Well at least According to statistics published here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nickmorrison/2016/11/29/far-east-strengthens-grip-on-math-science-rankings-u-s-students-slip-further-behind/

Even the manufacturing of products like video games are heavily outsourced to East Asian nations such as South Korea.

There are some awesome online learning resources in these areas but diminishing national pride needs further encouragement.

How can we produce more "Steve Jobs" in North America? Or is this an end of an era . . .

Okay yes I agree the education system is literally designed for people to just be 9-5 slaves but as far as innovation goes, the Western world is still doing a great job. Maybe not so much when it comes to 'physical' technology like a digital camera or electronics, etc. However, there are still more internet related technologies like Facebook, Amazon etc. Yeah it wouldn't hurt to really kill it in the physical side of technology as well but hey . . . you can only have one Elon Musk.
Srlancelot39

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:35 am   Post subject: RE:Are we falling behind in Math and Science?

Funny how East Asia was mentioned, but not Germany or Italy...
North American (high school) education may not be up to par with some other countries, but our level of technological advancement is among the highest.
geigand123

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:25 am   Post subject: RE:Are we falling behind in Math and Science?

yes
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: