Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Compiling Simple c++ Code Using Cygwin64
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
MadiAraly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:49 pm   Post subject: Compiling Simple c++ Code Using Cygwin64

Hi,
I have experience with actionscript, however I just started learning c++. The good thing about actionscript is that it's easy to run your files... with c++ (at least as a newbie), not so much. I have Cygwin64 installed, wrote my code on Notepad++, but I cannot figure out how to compile it for the life of me.

When downloading cygwin, I followed the tutorial from Derek Banas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rub-JsjMhWY, and everything seems to be in order. I've looked at a million different websites' instructions on what to type into the cygwin terminal to get it to run, but none have worked.

I can't imagine I'm saving the file in the wrong place, I've tried both on my desktop and in my profile within the cygwin folder (where I've heard it retrieves from by default).

Any help is really appreciated! I'm very excited to learn c++, but I need to get this compiler working first before I continue. Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
MadiAraly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:51 pm   Post subject: RE:Compiling Simple c++ Code Using Cygwin64

Forgot to add: I also have GNU prolog installed if that makes any difference.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:34 pm   Post subject: RE:Compiling Simple c++ Code Using Cygwin64

Visual Studio Express is free and will give you a similar environment to Actionscript.

Is there a reason you want to use Cygwin? It seems like overkill just for compiling C++. All you really need is a compiler.
MadiAraly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:07 pm   Post subject: Re: Compiling Simple c++ Code Using Cygwin64

Nope, Cygwin is just what the youtuber in the tutorial that I watched recommended. I'll take a look at the Visual Studio Express, thanks. (:
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: