Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Admission Averages
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Night

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:54 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Admission Averages

fdwkid @ Sat May 12, 2012 11:58 pm wrote:
Hey, do you know Mallika Trivedi?

Nope.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Night

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:58 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Admission Averages

fdwkid @ Sat May 12, 2012 11:58 pm wrote:
Hey, do you know Mallika Trivedi?

Nope.
QuantumPhysics

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:05 am   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

Wow crossley, you are a genius! Why does everyone want to go into CS? Thats the worst option (personally), seriously you guys all want to work cubicle jobs? Thats not fun. You probably think you will learn every single programming language. WRONG! You will barely learn any actually programming. CS is too general. You should have applied to a course thats more in depth and more fun. Meh, who am I to bargle. It's your life
crossley7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:55 am   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

Keep in mind that CS is flexible. Not general. Also, think of it this way. I could have gone into Software Engineering however my interests reach beyond the realm of computers and CS allows me the flexibility in my courses that SE does not.

Anyone who seriously considers CS will know that programming is the means by which we have to do the work, but that is not the focus of the material. I would argue that you can go more in depth with CS than with other majors because of the flexibility in the program.

Please inform yourself a bit better before making such a widespread generalization. I would rather choose where I focus my time and get into specifics rather than have them defined for me in my first year of University.

There are many people with man different interests. You are asking why everyone wants to go into CS while I would ask why anyone would want to go into Electrical/Computer Engineering. However, I understand that everyone has different interests and so different programs they are looking to pursue. I actually am yet to hear of anyone that would attempt to get or actually get the degree I'm looking for to this point. (Bachelor CS with C&O and Drama minors).

On the marks side, these were my final marks in the ones that just had midterms when I last posted.

SPH 4U - 95 (Physics)
SCH 4U - 94 (Chemistry)
MCV 4U - 98 (Calculus/Vectors)
ICS 4U - 100 (Computer Science)
QuantumPhysics

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:47 am   Post subject: Re: Admission Averages

School Applied To:

York University - Computer Science
Carleton University - Networks and Security honor roll
Ryerson University - Networks and Security

Schools Applied to and really want to get into:
- University Of Ontario Institute of Technology - Networking and Information Technology Security
- Arizona's Institute of Advanced Technology - Networking and Information Technology Security
- University Of Berkeley - Networking and Information Technology Security

Current grades (this and next semester)

First_
Computer Science - 100
Chemistry - 73
Drama - 94
Advanced Functions - 56
Next_
Law
Calculas
Media Arts
English

Extra Admission Benefits

CCC Provincials 2011
Recommendation letter from director of University Of BC
Large github repository
Lot's of experience in the InfoSec and Security/Ethical Hacking field to date

UOIT says that the minimum grade average is 60. I think I can raise my math to a little bit above that. I am very worried.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:07 am   Post subject: Re: Admission Averages

Well this probably will not be relevant or of interest to any one I thought I would put up my grad school admission averages for this year since I talked about grad school earlier in the thread:

Schools Applied To:
University of Western Ontario - PhD Computer Science (Theoretical Computer Science)

Application Average:
High School: No one cares anymore.
Undergrad (HBSc CompSci): ~75% (overall average, last 20 credits and core courses average was much higher)
Masters (MSc CompSci Thesis Route): ~96%

Schools Accepted To:
University of Western Ontario - Accepted with 4 years of funding (GTA, GRA, Western Scholarship).

Grants:
NSERC - Did not apply (missed deadline).
OGS - Applied, nominated by faculty, haven't heard back yet on final decision.

Additional Information:

• Had 2 conference papers publish as coauthor, with forthcoming fist authored journal paper.
  • Had contacted a potential supervisor prior to applying.
  • I believe I had strong letters of reference from two professors from the university at which i did my masters.
  • Applied for the "Theoretical Computer Science" option as i was not sure which group the supervisor i wanted fit under, but it looks like I will be switching to "Distributed Systems". Not that it seems to matter much in terms of admissions or the program.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
SareBear

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:17 pm   Post subject: Re: Admission Averages

This post is based on my grade 11 average. I will be heading into Computer Science at University of Waterloo or University of Guelph by the end of grade 12. My marks each year in high school have been pretty consistent each year, so I will assume I can keep them the same. Here are my grade 11 marks. All were U level courses.

Chemistry: 90%
Computer Programming: 87%
Physics: 86%
English: 80%

Religion: 80%
Tech Design: 91%
Functions: 95%
Art: 88%

Overall Average: 87%

Additional Information:

My AIF would turn out pretty bleak, and because of some family commitments I will end up missing the Euclid next year. Though I can try the CCC (I think it's called). Any advice on my odds of admission to uWaterloo would be amazing, thank you for the assistance!
OhDatNerd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:06 pm   Post subject: Re: Admission Averages

SareBear @ Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:17 pm wrote:
This post is based on my grade 11 average. I will be heading into Computer Science at University of Waterloo or University of Guelph by the end of grade 12. My marks each year in high school have been pretty consistent each year, so I will assume I can keep them the same. Here are my grade 11 marks. All were U level courses.

Chemistry: 90%
Computer Programming: 87%
Physics: 86%
English: 80%

Religion: 80%
Tech Design: 91%
Functions: 95%
Art: 88%

Overall Average: 87%

Additional Information:

My AIF would turn out pretty bleak, and because of some family commitments I will end up missing the Euclid next year. Though I can try the CCC (I think it's called). Any advice on my odds of admission to uWaterloo would be amazing, thank you for the assistance!

Depends on if you want to go for co-op or not. If you are, then your chances are a tad slim. A lot of kids with low 90s (90-93) got rejected this past year based on what I've heard. If you're going for regular, then you may have a decent chance. I am, however, just another grade 12 student so my answer may not be that accurate.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
San17

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:42 am   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

I am applying for computer science in waterloo as well. The thing is, I've read a lot about high cutoffs this year (fall 2015) but they're all in %. I've taken IB and I get a score out of 45, not percentage.
Any idea how much I'll need in terms of IB score to get into waterloo?
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 13 of 13  [ 189 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: