Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Have you been through this program transfer situation?
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
12700732c

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:56 pm   Post subject: Have you been through this program transfer situation?

I'm currently a third year Bachelor of Technology at McMaster University. Because of a handful of reasons (including the fact that my program is currently not CEAB accredited), I am hoping to switch into an accredited ECE B.Eng program.

Unfortunately, I was not as focused on school as I should have been, my marks are not the best. I spoke with the admissions at Waterloo, who told me that it was possible to take approved online courses of first year engineering courses in addition to my old high school English mark and a mark from my current program in order to to create an "admission average" instead of using my cumulative average. This was great news because although I already know most of the material in first year engineering from being in a technology program. Has anyone been in a similar situation to this and could shed some light on how likely I could transfer? This method almost seems a little too good to be true. And what other schools around Canada preferably around Ontario) would allow me to do this?

Why not transfer into McMaster's ECE? Because their internal transfer process only takes my cumulative average into account, and I already don't make the cut.

Thanks in advance. Confused
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:07 pm   Post subject: RE:Have you been through this program transfer situation?

I had transferred faculties at UWaterloo, so I have some context from the talks I've had with administration. The "too good to be true" catch is likely that it's not a transfer, but an admission into first year program -- double check on this detail.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
12700732c

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:31 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Have you been through this program transfer situation?

Tony @ 30th October 2015, 15:07 wrote:
I had transferred faculties at UWaterloo, so I have some context from the talks I've had with administration. The "too good to be true" catch is likely that it's not a transfer, but an admission into first year program -- double check on this detail.

Thanks Tony. I actually was looking at first year admission. I guess transfer might not be the best way to describe my situation here, it's more of a "Waterloo admission with post secondary experience".

I didn't perform well in my 2.5 years at McMaster due to just not paying attention to school, and studying things I didn't fully enjoy studying. But I did secure 16 months of coop through my time there, and am a relatively decent programmer. If I did well in the approved first year transfer courses, (90-95ish on each), are my chances at first year Waterloo ECE good?
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:13 am   Post subject: RE:Have you been through this program transfer situation?

UWaterloo is competitive, so who knows, but it sounds like you have a chance to get in, if this is the path that you want to follow.

Either way, don't let some random person's opinion on an online forum be a deciding factor for you. Someone from University's admissions would have more authoritative knowledge of the situation, and you have already started that conversation.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: