Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 University of Waterloo Computer Science Transfer from Geomatics
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Saint Jay

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:50 pm   Post subject: University of Waterloo Computer Science Transfer from Geomatics

So I recently finished High School and received an offer of admission from the University of Waterloo in Geomatics. As the title of my post suggests I would have wished to get into the Computer Science program, but I did not take the grade 12 Calculus or Functions courses. So I did not even try to apply for Computer Science, basically would have been a waste of time. I made the decision to attend University very late and I would have taken these courses if I had the chance. I don't have the option to return to high school to obtain these credits either.

So I was wondering if it was possible to transfer from Geomatics into Computer Science at the University of Waterloo? I have tried contacting the University about what steps I should take to do this but they have been very slow to respond, and phone calls have been going straight to voicemail for the last week.

I've been taking several math courses on the internet and have been receiving tutoring and study help from other students to prepare myself for large amounts of math, I have also taken Computer programming courses in both grade 11 and 12, which I received an 89 and 92 in respectively. I'm still unaware if all of this prep work is for not though.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you for reading.

Jason
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:28 pm   Post subject: RE:University of Waterloo Computer Science Transfer from Geomatics

Your best option probably involves talking to the CS Academic Advisors. They have extremely limited office hours (https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/office-hours) and are frequently overwhelmed around the start and end of term, but are usually well-informed and willing to help. You should go talk to them directly, since they basically ignore their phone and email.

If you haven't yet had a term of study at UW, then be prepared for a lot of resistance. In the best case, you will have to take a few courses to make up for the missing Calculus / Functions courses, because first-year CS Calculus is kinda brutal even with that preparation.

You should also be aware that you are applying to get into a very competitive program, and that the tuition for CS will be approximately double the tuition for geomatics -- roughly $5500 per term without co-op, and more like $6000/term with coop.
Saint Jay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:45 pm   Post subject: Re: University of Waterloo Computer Science Transfer from Geomatics

well it's a relief that it is actually possible. I met with an academic adviser and they suggested I jump right into MATH 127 (Calculus 1 for the Sciences) and MATH 128 second term. As much as I'm trying to catch up I decided this would not be a good idea so, even though I was successfully enrolled in MATH 127 (how that happened I don't know) I switch it with MATH 104 (Calculus 1 for the Arts and Social Sciences). It is stated as an Anti-req for MATH 127 so it should prepare me.

I have enrolled in MATH 127 for second term, and plan to do MATH 128 in third term if it's necessary, I may qualify for the transfer already by then though. I was also told by the academic adviser that CS 115 and CS 116, which are Geomatics courses anyway, would work for the switch too. Just need high enough marks. Hopefully going for MATH 104 won't hinder me too much, but I feel it's better than jumping right into MATH 127.

Any other information anyone is willing to provide would still be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the reply
bcsstudent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:52 am   Post subject: RE:University of Waterloo Computer Science Transfer from Geomatics

MATH 128 (138, 148) is a required course for CS, not all 3, just 1 of the 3 listed. It is a prerequisite for STAT 230 if I remember correctly. I know this is kind of late but better late than never right? Smile

Let me know if you have any questions.

-BCS Student
http://blogstudentbcs.blogspot.ca
-Kam

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:12 am   Post subject: RE:University of Waterloo Computer Science Transfer from Geomatics

Just wondering if you managed to transfer. I'm in the same boat right now and was hoping I could go down the same path.
CK4

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:28 am   Post subject: Re: University of Waterloo Computer Science Transfer from Geomatics

Hi, mom of CS student here. My son also got an alternate offer to Geomatics. The adviser at Waterloo suggested accepting it with the intention of transferring to CS later prob. would not be successful. There are
8000 applicants for 300 spots in their CS program and the vast majority of them are for kids right out of HS with an average of 93+. My son's average is 90. So he's not going to take that chance. Now trying to decide
between Western and Windsor.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: