Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 What will I have to "unlearn" after I have to take a compsci course that utilizes RTP Java?
Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
MrMac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:22 am   Post subject: What will I have to "unlearn" after I have to take a compsci course that utilizes RTP Java?

I just learned that the RTP Java compiler isn't very good, and my future teacher is also supposedly incompetent at coding (made use use a for loop and drawline instead of drawfillbox in Turing). What specific coding practices will I be taught that I'll have to "unlearn" or simply are crap when I enter the real world of Java?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Zren

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:11 am   Post subject: RE:What will I have to "unlearn" after I have to take a compsci course that utilizes RTP Java?

I never used RTP, but Ready To Program Java uses Java v4 (1.4) which was released before 2004, while Java is already on v8. So you're going to be coding without the features added in the past decade.

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/relnotes/features.html

One feature that really stands out is not using generics with an ArrayList and doing the casting yourself.

Basically doing

Java:

List list = ArrayList();
list.add("asdf");
Object obj = list.get(0); // Object type
String str = (String)list.get(0); // We'd need to manually cast it to do anything useful.

This causes programmers to possible accidently forget to cast to the correct type.

Generics add a compile time check to make sure a collection can only contain a certain type.

Java:

List<String> list = ArrayList<String>();
list.add("asdf");
String str = list.get(0); // String type, no need to cast first.

Apparently the foreach loop (easily iterate a List) is also a v5 feature.
Clayton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:12 pm   Post subject: RE:What will I have to "unlearn" after I have to take a compsci course that utilizes RTP Java?

In addition to Zren's comment, RTP comes with it's own proprietary library that you will never, ever see again outside of your high school career, but is heavily referenced in the textbook that Holtsoft used to send with RTP licenses.
   Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: