Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 How well did you guys know how to code in highschool before you got into Computer Science/Software Engineering?
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
GoldenHippo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:27 pm   Post subject: How well did you guys know how to code in highschool before you got into Computer Science/Software Engineering?

Hey CompSci community!

I'm currently a highschool student. I did the CCC Junior this year and will be taking 11AP & 12AP compsci in the following years.
I just wanted to know how much experience you guys & gals had when applying for Waterloo & UFT compsci.

Thanks in advance!

GH Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:12 pm   Post subject: RE:How well did you guys know how to code in highschool before you got into Computer Science/Software Engineering?

CS isn't actually a required course to get into CS/SE programs. At least in my UWaterloo experience, they assume that you haven't taken any CS and start everyone off from a level field. You are expected to pick up on the content fast though.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Clayton

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:36 pm   Post subject: RE:How well did you guys know how to code in highschool before you got into Computer Science/Software Engineering?

I'll second Tony's remark. Many first year courses will start you off with a couple of weeks of refreshing what you covered in your last year of high school. Most first year CS courses take that a step further and just assume you have zero prior knowledge at all.

Keep in mind, that even if you take high school CS courses and do some outside learning on your own, that you're still not going to skate through these courses either. I witnessed many of my classmates assume that because they knew all of the basics in the first few weeks of the relevant CS courses they could simply skate by, but ended up barely scraping by or failing outright.
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:17 pm   Post subject: RE:How well did you guys know how to code in highschool before you got into Computer Science/Software Engineering?

At all levels, assume you know nothing.

Strive to correct that.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:36 pm   Post subject: RE:How well did you guys know how to code in highschool before you got into Computer Science/Software Engineering?

Gonna throw in that they can't actually make it a prerequisite as not every school can offer comp sci, unlike math or science courses
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: