Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 University of Toronto (SG) vs Waterloo
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
proboundz

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:06 am   Post subject: University of Toronto (SG) vs Waterloo

I know this question has been asked numerous times but I'm still unable to decide.

I am an international student and I really like the UofT campus and I also have many friends going there. However, almost everyone says that the UW computer science program is wayy better. However, I dont really like the campus and I will also generally not have summer holidays.

As much as I want to go to UofT and enjoy the downtown life, my education is my top priority and if Waterloo is really that much better than UofT I will go there.

Knowing that if I go to UofT, I will also have access to the PEY program and can also do summer internships if I choose to, where should I go?

Basically, how much better is uw than uoft (in terms of future jobs etc) Am I doing the wrong thing by choosing UofT ?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Night

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:18 pm   Post subject: RE:University of Toronto (SG) vs Waterloo

I can't comment on either program specifically, although both are highly if not top ranked. Rankings aren't everything, though.
Quote:
As much as I want to go to UofT and enjoy the downtown life, my education is my top priority and if Waterloo is really that much better than UofT I will go there.

You have to be comfortable and happy with your choice in order to succeed - you'll be there for at least 4 years.

If the campus and the fact that your friends are going to a school really matter to you, then I'd put that higher than whether or not you should go to the first or second ranked school. If you go to the top ranked school just because it "ranks higher", that doesn't really help you if you're not enjoying yourself and you end up with lower grades as a result.

Either school will give you the skills you need for a career - people have had successful careers coming from schools that don't even rank near either of those. The reason for that is because once you have some experience, where you went to undergrad is usually a very small if not nonexistent factor. You could go to MIT, but if someone has more experience than you, then it may not matter all that much. Or if you don't like where you go and perform poorly as a result, then you might get an interview because your resume says you studied at X university, but if you can't do well in the interview as a result of doing poor in school since you weren't happy there, then it also doesn't matter.

University is stressful enough as it is; I wouldn't add more potential stress to that by going to a school I didn't like.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:47 pm   Post subject: RE:University of Toronto (SG) vs Waterloo

I would not say that Waterloo is "wayy" better but it does have a better reputation for CS. As Night pointed out, you should go to the school you will have the best chance at succeeding.

At best, the university you pick might help you get a better first job, but after you have some real world experience it will only matter that you have a degree, not where you got it from.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: