Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Air Hockey (Pong Advanced)
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Krabjuice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:00 pm   Post subject: Air Hockey (Pong Advanced)

Lookie, my first running game. Its just a beta. I need to add a few things, and redo a few things. But, all in good time.

Air Hockey.zip
 Description:
Bouncy, bouncy...bounce..ie.. With an AI!

Download
 Filename:  Air Hockey.zip
 Filesize:  274.59 KB
 Downloaded:  626 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I scored, then the multicolored AI guy stole the puck, and I never got it back again Sad Confused Mad Crying or Very sad
Oh yea, just to tell you, I saw something weird, if you hit it from a certain angle, it accelerates like 3 times more than usual.
shorthair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

When you say a few things you men an , entire AI system ( you dont have one yet , unless thats like super n00b mode ),and proper physics and coorinate handling , , but because you stated it was BETA , its flippin awsome , this will be a rockin game when its done , good luck with your project Very Happy
jonos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

that's really cool, but the guy in one player does move... Crying or Very sad
Krabjuice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Actually, there isn't an AI.. yet. I'm actually having problems having both paddles move at the same time with two different key inputs.
The puck is actualy under the other paddle, just move by force, or play with 1 player.

----

Update. I just added an AI for 1 player! Although, Chuck, the puck bouncing AI pattle is fast...and precise, he is capable of defeat.
jonos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

that's really good now, but really hard, though if you get the puck behind him, you just need to score from there Very Happy . you should try to make it so the puck can't go so fast cuase sometimes i can hardly see it, and also (one more thing), sometimes i try to hit the puck by moving the paddle forward, but then the puck goes behind me. oh ya, and i can't see the text i inputted at the begining (choosing the players). anyways, really great job and a lot of fun Very Happy
Krabjuice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, actually, the reason why the puck goes past you is because of the speed. Its like when you actually play, and the puck goes uber fast, you have a tendancy to jump, and lift your pattle above the puck.. then it goes in.

(In other words, the speed of the puck can exceed the width of the paddle per cycle.)

Also, if you time it correctly, you can actually have the puck go through the pattle, and get a boost.
One of my favourite stratagies at the table was letting the puck bounce of the backboards on my side slowly, then, I would raise my pattle above the puck, and spank it on the back with the edge of my pattle...like I was pounding it with my palm. That made the puck dance across the table. Scared the hell out of my friends, and hurt my wrist.

(Same as the former, but the puck is drawn inside the paddle, and is launched)
jonos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well, if you put it that way that you meant to do it, then... That is the best table hockey game in turing i have seen, and probably one of the most fun to play (seriously, I have played it for probably longer than any other game in turing i've seen so far). and with your explanation for some things, i am off to play your game again with a better strategy... Very Happy

jonos super edit:
yeah, i just lost 8 to 34 against the AI Crying or Very sad
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
poly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
the puck goes uber fast, you have a tendancy to jump, and lift your pattle above the puck.. then it goes in.

a tendancy to jump? hmmm when i play i have never done that... neither has any of my friends.
I found the game a bit annoying as half the time when i went to hit the punk i kept going threw it
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ha! Un-Pro! I once hit a puck so hard, it bouced into the wall and broke.
jonos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ya, well in keeping the posts off-topic I must reply:

I once strained my arm trying to reach the puck and had to go to the hospital, as well I have also accidently let go of my paddle and hit someone in the face... Shocked yeah i know... i suck

the game:
I found that if i didn't try to hit the puck so hard, then I could hit it forward most of the time, as well if a puck was moving vertically up and down, then I would just try to shoot it really hard towards my end and it would go to the other end really fast, which is really cool, cause you can use different strategies playing the game.
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I dunno, I've only gotten to 1 to 0 with this game, once I score, I never get the puck again.
shorthair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah , so i decided that instead of scoring on his goal , to score on my own that way you eget to place again , and you can haeve target practise
Krabjuice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

paulbian wrote:
I dunno, I've only gotten to 1 to 0 with this game, once I score, I never get the puck again.

The link above has the updated version, which should solve that problem.

-------

Oh, and more tales from my table hockey experience. That little trick I described eariler.... Don't use it at your own table, it takes alot of practice, and if you miss you put a damn big dent in your table. (>_<) But, once you master it, you can actualy flick the puck at your opponent. Needless to say, I always come out the winner.. even if I loose.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:36 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I dislike the fact that it can go through you... I personally never jump my paddle over the puck when its going fast...

good start though! keep working on it and It'll get really really good!
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 27 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: