Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Computers for school
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Chist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:51 pm   Post subject: Computers for school

I will be going to school for computer science in the fall. Instead of buying a Macbook, I figure I could spend roughly the same amount of money on a desktop PC and a Microsoft surface pro. Has anyone done any coding on a surface? I'm considering getting one due to their portability and battery life. I figure I could take the surface to tablets and when I'm in the go and use the desktop for the majority of my coding and assignments..
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:22 am   Post subject: RE:Computers for school

The surface Pro has a keyboard and runs Windows, so it's basically a laptop already. You should be able to code on it no problem. You probably won't even need a desktop unless you want to play games. Of course, you might find that you never need to bring your tablet to class anyway- this seems to depend on school culture. Pen & paper was much better in class for me than a keyboard & screen. You probably won't be writing code during lectures and the labs are conducted in computer labs, which have computers in them, with all necessary software pre-installed, for you to use.

If you expect to do most of your studying at the library then portability might be more important.

Don't bother with a macbook. If you do go for a laptop, grab a Windows machine instead. I'm a mac guy; I'm typing this on a mac. I still think you should save money and go for Windows. OSX does not promote any more productivity than Windows. I'd go the desktop/Surface route, 'cause at least then you have something to game on.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:31 am   Post subject: RE:Computers for school

Surface Pro 3 + keyboard is a very nice device, but it also costs essentially the same as a Macbook Air.

You will probably have an account on the school servers, and the assignments will be developed and submitted there. It doesn't matter if you have a Windows or OSX machine, if the assignment has to work on a Linux server (although OSX gets you most of the way there).
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
rdrake

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:40 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Computers for school

Insectoid @ Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:22 am wrote:
OSX does not promote any more productivity than Windows.
Blasphemy!

The Surface Pro 3 with 256 GB and Intel Core i5 is $1349 MSRP + $159.99 type cover + $49.99 surface pen. A rMBP is $1679.00 with more power and comparable battery life.

Unless you need the pen input I'd go with the rMBP with enough power to last you the 4 years. Most unix utilities run natively on OS X which is a huge help in CS.
Chist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:50 pm   Post subject: RE:Computers for school

Thanks everyone! Smile If I were to not go this route, would it be worthwhile to get a powerful windows laptop ? The only reason I wasn't leaning that way was because I find that windows laptops usually aren't all that good for battery life..
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:02 am   Post subject: RE:Computers for school

I'm able to get 3 or 4 hours on mine and I have a 17.2" HD screen. If you get a smaller laptop you should have no problem doubling my battery life. Worst case, you shell our $50 for a secondary battery.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:42 am   Post subject: RE:Computers for school

I have a Surface Pro 1 and it is amazing for taking notes. The digitizer pen is far better then any kind touch based stylus and it is smart enough to temporarily disable the touch screen when the pen is close to the screen so you can rest your hand on the screen while writing.

I can't recommend it for coding or even typing anything long. I have heard the new models have a better keyboard but the Pro 1 keyboard is only good for simple tasks.

My recommendation would be a Surface Pro for taking notes in class and a Desktop for coding and doing assignments on. Or you could do what I do and have a Surface for class notes and an over sized unportable laptop for everything else.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:20 pm   Post subject: RE:Computers for school

If you're going with a Windows laptop, don't be nearly as concerned with power as with reliability. You'd be well-advised to restrict your searhing to various manufacturers' business-class laptops.

Lenovo: Thinkpad
Dell: Latitude
Toshiba: Port?g?, Tecra
HP: Elitebook
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:33 pm   Post subject: RE:Computers for school

Alternatively, if you have to submit all of your projects for compilation on a Linux server, just buy a 13" Chromebook. Should run you around $300, and install Linux on it via Crouton.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: